bent steering bar

my steering bar is bent and has to be forced into the tilt tube. can i remove the bar from the cable and put a differnt one i have on it or do i need to replace the whole cable

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Unfortunately, it's all one piece,... ya need a new cable,....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would say it really depends on how badly the cable is and the bend is. If the steering cable is in great condition and the bent section is just a slight bend, you could try to straighten the bent out to see if it would work. And the best way to do that is to make a little setup to hold the ends of the shaft section and then apply pressure in the bent section a little at a time and try it. Once it slides in and works without problems or binding, use it. If that seems like too much effort, then just buy a new one and happy boating. Many bent things are actually straighten using that procedure and it does straighten bent shafts perfectly. JMHO!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
sure it's bent, or maybe rust/corrosion in the tilt tube(?) If you can get it in the tube, seems to me it can't have much bend to it (not much clearance). Just a guess at a distance....

fhhuber

Lieutenant
If its bent and the choice is try a fix or replace it:

I would definitely attempt to straighten it. Costs just a bit of elbow grease ($0.00) and you are only going to win if it works.

You have to pay attention to effect on the connection of the bent part to the flexible cable. Be CERTAIN that its still firmly attached.