Old cable steering

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I have an issue with just 1 side with my cable steering, the pulley flips when I to turn to port and twists the cables. The boat gets harder to steer. Any remedies?

64osby

Admiral
How about a pic of the pulley in question, or maybe a short video.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Also which pulley. You a minimum of 6 pulleys when cables are on both sides.

jbcurt00

Staff member
A pix of the steering cable pulleys and how the cable is run would certainly be helpful. Having just been on someone else's boat yesterday that had horrible geometry for his cable setup, it could be how/where the cable's fixed end is attached or the spring tensioner for the cables.

My friend added a jackplate and then added a modified steering arm extension that was way too long. Centered, the cables were adjusted correctly, but he'd eliminated the spring. When turning either way, the big ole arm swung closer to the plane of the last hull mounted pulleys, and introduced quite a bit of slack into the cable on 1 side or the other depending on which way the motor was turned. Cable kept jumping off the steering drum behind the dash. Not good at 30mph+/- running down river in a fairly strong breeze in a lightweight tinny.......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The springs are important. They keep tension on the cable or as your buddy found out, the drum unwraps.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Believe I found the issue, a bully was replaced and the diameter of the pulley does not match the other, going to replace and adjust.