1977 Johnson Command Center wont engage into neutral.

NobleNoob

Recruit
I have a 1977 70hp Johnson outboard with the original command center/throttle. The problem I am having is that the throttle will move forward but when returned towards the neutral position, will not engage into neutral. It feels as if something in the box is stopping it from engaging into neutral. I know it is not a seized cable because when you disassemble the box, you can manually move the throttle cable and shift cable into all positions. The problem lies within the control box. Occasionally when I reassemble the box, it will move from forward, to neutral, to reverse and back again but eventually after a few shifts will stop again before going back into neutral. I didn't know if this was a common problem.

Included is a picture of the command center with the throttle pulled as far back before being mysteriously stopped.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Go to shopevinrude.com and look under any pre1979 and you should find an exploded view of that remote. Look over the plastic cam and shift lever assembly for broken of lose parts.