steering question

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2005 rinker 212 captiva rx1 with what I can read, a Teleflex rack and pinion setup. my rack is definitely worn and I'm wondering if I can get just the rack and pinion or do I need the whole thing, rack, pinion, and cable? does the cable come off the rack and how? I like my wheel setup because of the tilt and I don't see many setups with the tilt unless it's a cable and drum or the hydraulic units. any info would help... thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
my rack is definitely worn

Ayuh,.... How'd you come to that conclusion,..??

Helms wear, as do cables, which is why helm/ cable kits are priced the way they are,...

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
when I turn the steering wheel it takes about 1/3 or better to get the I/o drive to move. it is a power steering setup but I can't feel any movement in the cable housing from cable moving and that's why I know it's just the pinion gear going KAPUT! where should I be able to see the numbers on cable for the size/ length? couldn't see anything down but the transom unless I have to remove it from the cylinder and rotate it. I have a 2005 rinker 212 rx1

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Ya really need a couple folks to help ya isolate the issue, rather than goin' on feel from the capt.s seat,....

If a person holds the drive steady, while another moves the wheel side to side, You can crawl 'round, 'n Look at the linkages at the helm, 'n more importantly at the transom, to see Exactly where the slop is occurrin',...
The two Buds, should at some point, do the opposite too, hold the wheel, 'n shake the drive,....

I ain't sayin' yer helm ain't worn out, but for an '05, it's an awfully early death,...
There's more places, more likely to be the problem, at the transom,....

If it IS Bad,.... I suggest gettin' the Helm, 'n Cable Kit,....

If the helm is worn out, No doubt the cable ain't all that healthy, either,....

What drive ya got,..??