Steering Vibration

davidm

Cadet
Good Morning:

I have read through countless threads on Volvo steering problems, but I have not yet figured out how to fix my problem. I have a 2004 boat with a Volvo 5.7 Gxi-F engine, a TSK SX MHP transom assembly, and a DPSM 1.95 lower unit. The steering has develop a vibration in both directions. The vibration is only present when actually steering, and it gets worse the more I turn to each side. Initially, I checked the pump and noticed that the fluid was low, so I added fluid and went through the steps required to bleed any air. I tend to be inpatient, and I'm not sure if I actually turned the wheel over enough times to bleed the system properly, but the vibration went away. After about 2 hours of use, the vibration returned. I checked the pump and noticed that I over-filled the power steering, so I removed fluid to the COLD mark and again bled the unit. This time, the vibration did not go away. I hauled the boat and started working on the boat in my driveway. With the engine off, my son steered to each side as I inspected the lower unit from below the boat. The vibration was very loud as he steered from side to side. I then attached a hose to my lower unit, started the engine, and has my son steer from side to side once again: same vibration. We went through a bleeding procedure with the engine "cold," and then re-started the engine and did the same procedure (stop to stop over and over), with no change. I decided to apply grease to the steering cylinder (the upper, machined cylinder in the picture below), and the vibration went away. However, after steering from side to side 5-6 times, the vibration returned. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Volvo Steering.jpg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Do you see any foaming going on in the power steering reservoir?

davidm

Cadet
I didn't notice any foaming but the location of the reservoir makes it nearly impossible to look inside. I did not notice any bubbles or foam on the dipstick when I checked the fluid level. However, I tend to be impatient and it is possible that I did not cycle through the bleeding cycle long enough, or I failed to get the steering fluid up to temp because I moved on too quickly. I will try bleeding the system once again this afternoon, and I will try to spend more time allowing the fluid to come up to temp.

alldodge

Staff member
My thought is if something is allowing air into the pump which would cause the vibration. Most power steering units are self bleeding. The pump pumps continuously and just running the engine will purge the air, anything left is minimal and will finish purging without issue. Check for bubbles while the engine is running. If you do see bubbles you could have a leak inside the pump