Dual steering cable

Winniep

Recruit
I just bought a used boat with a 175 mariner motor, the dual steeering cables need to be fixed. I took it in and the mechanic said he disconnected one of the steering cables and it fixed the stiffness in the steering. I asked him if it is safe to operate the boat with one steering cable, he said it should be fine. Can anyone tell me if he is correct.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
I can only offer my own experience. I once had a 18' Bassboat with a 150 merc on the back. The boat had a dual Teleflex Cable steering system. The steering became extremely stiff.... So, i disconnected each cable and found out which one was giving me issues. Then, I connected the good cable and ran the boat for a couple of years. I could not tell much of a difference to be honest with you.

Not all boat manufacturers used the dual cable system, for there are many boats running around with the single cable system anyway. If the boat is steering easily with no issues, and if the boat is not pulling hard to the right under power, then I would say you are going to be OK.