Trim sender swith not working... this is a new swith recently replaced.

drpepper68

Seaman
Alpha one trim limit switch issue after new switches were replaced by shop

A shop just installed brand new limit switches on my mercruiser but the trim up button wont work. The trailer switch works and so does the trim down button. The shop tested the boat on the water and it was trimmed up when I picked it up so unless they used on the trailer switch to do it I assume it was working for them. Unfortunately I totally screwed up my prop and skeg a little since I didnt know there was such thing as a trailer switch... I spent two hours trying to get my boat out of the water on the ramp since it got stuck on the concrete of the ramp and I coudnt tow it out. I took both arms off with a pair of need nose pliers while underwater.
smile.gif

Since the shop put them in I assume wiring is correct and these are new switches... anything else I can check? Would the switch be closed when its at its highest position or open?

alldodge

Staff member
The up trim switch should allow the rams to extend to about 21 inches when measured from the ram pins. Anything after this distance the trailer button is used to raise it further and up to full up. The limit switch on the port side of the gimbal ring is closed when full down and up to the 21 inch limit (which isn't that much) about 3 inch extension.

Bring the drive all the way down and see if it will come up any. If it does bring it as far up as the limit will allow (not the trailer button), then measure the distance

As for the other thread posted, anyone can comment on what they are seeing or doing, but asking additional questions causes the subject of the OP thread to be changed.

drpepper68

Seaman
oh man i may have the wrong idea on how this works then. if the trim up only brings it up to about 3in below full down then I think it was already there. So you always have to use the trailer switch to bring it up for trailering? I have a low trailer and it was hitting ground with it trimmed all the way up with only the trim switch. So when I drive the boat on the trailer I need to use the trailer switch to bring it up when running so it doesnt hit bottom when I drive it on?

drpepper68

Seaman
I moved both limit switches also when trying to get it to work in the water so they are both out of adjustment. Is there a procedure on how to adjust them? I understand I can measure the port side one but what about the starboard side one?

alldodge

Staff member
I moved both limit switches also when trying to get it to work in the water so they are both out of adjustment. Is there a procedure on how to adjust them? I understand I can measure the port side one but what about the starboard side one?

The starboard one goes to a trim gauge (if you have one).

The issue with the trim limit is you don't want the prop turning when the drive is not able to rest against the sides of the gimbal ring. If it comes up to high and the prop turns it puts excessive loads on the bellhousing and pins.

Here is the remove and replace section which shows you how to adjust both
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/bullet/92/92_12.pdf

drpepper68

Seaman
Just had the shop replace both the trim limit switch and trim sender. They didnt adjust the limit switch right and I had to remove and set the adjustment myself to get it to work. The sender doesnt work either but I haven't found wiring diagrams or service bulletins on how they operate other then how to set them. Are they just a resistance type switch that I can put an ohm meter on to tell if the gauge is bad or something else?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
yep, just a variable resistance switch, should be able to ground the gauge wire at the motor to see if the gauge goes full scale.

drpepper68

Seaman
yep, just a variable resistance switch, should be able to ground the gauge wire at the motor to see if the gauge goes full scale.

Ok cool thanks. It goes all the way down when key is on and pegged up when key off.

drpepper68

Seaman
The starboard one goes to a trim gauge (if you have one).

The issue with the trim limit is you don't want the prop turning when the drive is not able to rest against the sides of the gimbal ring. If it comes up to high and the prop turns it puts excessive loads on the bellhousing and pins.

Here is the remove and replace section which shows you how to adjust both
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/bullet/92/92_12.pdf

Thanks for that link it was very helpful. I got the trim limit fixed, the shop just didn't adjust it right, I took it off and realigned and used an ohm meter and works as it should now.

drpepper68

Seaman
Ok I have no idea what happened to this thread... looks like both my threads got combined now its confusing as anything.

My trim sender still isnt' fixed but my trim limit is. Im going to put an ohm meter on my sender today and see if the resistance changes. I'm hoping its just the gauge. Good places to buy gauges for Four Winns Horizon? My gas gauge doesnt work either.

alldodge

Staff member
Both the gas and trim gauges work the same way. With power on, ground the pink wire (gas) or Brown/White wire (trim) and the gauge should peg full/up. It the gauge pegs then the gauge is working. As for the trim, move drive to trim limit point. Remove the sender, turn power on, now rotate it slowly while watching the gauge. More sender until the gauge is in the middle between green and red, install and lock down. Now drop trim all the way down, it should be on the bottom of the dial

Oh and threads were merged probably because they are the same question (trim) just one is gauge the other limit

drpepper68

Seaman
I tried turning the trim sender last night but the gauge didnt budge. When key is off trim gauge does peg full up so I guess that means the gauge is working? I cant believe the brand new sender is bad.

alldodge

Staff member
I tried turning the trim sender last night but the gauge didnt budge. When key is off trim gauge does peg full up so I guess that means the gauge is working? I cant believe the brand new sender is bad.

Gauge being full up is not normal. The make sure the its the gauge, find the Brown/White and black connecters in the stern. Pull the two connectors apart and connect the two wires together. If the gauge doesn't go full up with key on its the gauge.

This can also be done at the gauge if its easier to access. Just ground the Broun/white wire and the same thing should happen