Will trim tabs help?

Georooney

Seaman
I have a 17' welded aluminum deep V boat, powered by a Mercury 90 HP 4-stroke outboard, that tends to list to one side when on plane. Even shifting a 20 lb cooler from one side to the other can make a difference.

At times the boat seriously lists with no visible shift in weight loading. I suspect this may be due to fuel slopping to one side of the fuel tanks. (Two 20-gallon tanks under the floor midship, no baffles.) When this occurs, I usually have to bring the boat down off plane to correct the list.

I am contemplating adding trim tabs. Before I start, am I barking up the wrong tree? I don't want to invest a lot of money and time, if it won't correct the problem.

Any and all comments, suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcome.

Georooney

Seaman
I like the idea of 'smart tabs', but smart tabs are extended down all the time, right? What happens when you back up, or are in big following seas? Have you noticed any difference in fuel consumption with them?

82rude

Rear Admiral
I recommend the smart tabs.Really ,you never back up that far for it to be an issue.I never noticed any diff in fuel usage ,but I did notice a marked diff in boat handling .All for the better.