Alpha 1 trim issue!! Possible switch or.....

pmjr0987

Seaman
Im having an issue with intermittent trim issues I know my switch is bad, will go down but not up on my quicksilver throttle. I have to use the trailer button for up, bow down for down. Bow up does not work and I took the switch apart cleaned the copper contacts and sprayed it with electric parts cleaner to no avail. I want to replace the switch but where the heck do you find the right switch lol I'm attaching a photo of it for reference The other issue is randomly the trim won't respond to any input. Last time it happened on the ramp taking the boat out and I could not for the life of me get the trim up! Waited about 20 minutes and it worked perfectly???? I thought if a solenoid or something goes it goes and not intermittent but I could of course be wrong

Attachments

• photo229254.jpg
    photo229254.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229256.jpg
    photo229256.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Im having an issue with intermittent trim issues I know my switch is bad, will go down but not up on my quicksilver throttle. I have to use the trailer button for up, bow down for down. Bow up does not work and I took the switch apart cleaned the copper contacts and sprayed it with electric parts cleaner to no avail. I want to replace the switch but where the heck do you find the right switch lol I'm attaching a photo of it for reference The other issue is randomly the trim won't respond to any input. Last time it happened on the ramp taking the boat out and I could not for the life of me get the trim up! Waited about 20 minutes and it worked perfectly???? I thought if a solenoid or something goes it goes and not intermittent but I could of course be wrong

It might be the switch but most the time its the trim limit switch on the gimbal ring (port side). If the limit switch is not making contact your switch will have no effect. The Trailer button bypasses the limit switch. Go to your stern and check for continuity. The two wires are both black with banknote connectors and the wires attaching to them are Blue/white and black

Trim wiring Merc 2012.jpg

In the mean time I'll look for your part number

pmjr0987

Seaman
Thanks for all the info! I don't think it's the trim switch because you said the trailer button would still work, but when the bow up/down swich stops so does the trailer button.

But I think somethings up with it as my trim gauge always is pegged one way when I turn the ignition on

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for all the info! I don't think it's the trim switch because you said the trailer button would still work, but when the bow up/down swich stops so does the trailer button.

But I think somethings up with it as my trim gauge always is pegged one way when I turn the ignition on

Appears someone has rewired something trying to get it working instead of fixing the issue. When power is applied to the Blue/White wire the trim should go up and takes the limit switch out of the mix.

Your gauge pegging means the sender needs to be adjusted or probably replaced.

pmjr0987

Seaman
Ok before I even used the boat I did a gimbal/bellow job on it. I never did any boat work before and threw the sender on. I guess I can try and remove it and push it around and see if the gauge responds

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Part H in diagram is the culprit.
Exact same thing happened to me. Took everything apart on the controls. tapped the trim limit switch with a hammer handle she came back!
Good Luck.

-Bennett

pmjr0987

Seaman
The diagram shows me that the previous owner has the trim switches wires connected to some power on the engine. I'm guessing to bypass the switch to make the trim work. After looking at the wires I noticed that they are gone about 6" into the boat the wires had so much corrosion they litterlly broke apart and are no longer there lol.

Also found out yesterday after taking the boat out my problem was a loose power wire. Looks like my only problem is I need to replace the trim sender's