Mercruiser Alpha one trim problem

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just replaced the oil container for the power trim/tilt pump. It was leaking, so I removed the holding bracket, both oil lines and replaced the reservoir. Then I placed everything back and refilled reservoir, moved the tilt up and down and refilled reservoir again. The trim button appears to work only down now, when I press it up, nothing happens, not even a sound from the pump. Tilt works fine both ways up and down. Any ideas? Thx

alldodge

Staff member
I just replaced the oil container for the power trim/tilt pump. It was leaking, so I removed the holding bracket, both oil lines and replaced the reservoir. Then I placed everything back and refilled reservoir, moved the tilt up and down and refilled reservoir again. The trim button appears to work only down now, when I press it up, nothing happens, not even a sound from the pump. Tilt works fine both ways up and down. Any ideas? Thx

I'm missing something in your question. "The trim button works only in the down position" and then you say "Tilt works fine both ways up and down".

If the tilt/trim is working in both directions, what isn't working? There is a trim limit switch on the drive which limits the up travel.

dlogvine

The tilt goes both up and down, while trim button which essentially is a 2 way button works only when I press the DOWN button and does not do anything when I press its UP part. I can go to the storage and make a picture of the control lever if needed. It is U.S. marine made throttle shift control with the buttons on both sides of the handle, left button for trim ( the one that does not function properly) and right button for tilt, this one works fine.

dlogvine

No Title

The throttle control looks similar to this one

Attachments

• photo229214.JPG
    photo229214.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229215.JPG
    photo229215.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The tilt/trim buttons are on the left side which you use your thumb to raise and lower. When using these buttons the up button is limited by the trim limit switch that is mounted on the port side of the gimbal ring of the outdrive. If the drive is all the way down, the up button should bring the drive up until the limit stops movement. To bring it any higher you need to use Trailer button which is on the opposite side.
1throttle.jpg

Now if the trim up button does not work at all (that is with the drive all the way down) then the problem is either the switch itself, the trim limit on the gimbal ring or a bad wire connection. Here is how it is wired. In this pic the trailer button is separate from the throttle handle

Trim wiring Merc 2012.jpg

Switch wiring in your handle

Trim Limit switch wiring.png

drpepper68

Seaman
I'm having the exact same issue right after the shop installed brand new limit switches. Unfortunately I totally screwed up my prop and skeg a little since I didnt know there was such thing as a trailer switch... I spent two hours trying to get my boat out of the water on the ramp since it got stuck on the concrete of the ramp and I coudnt tow it out. I took both arms off with a pair of need nose pliers while underwater. :)

Since the shop put them in I assume wiring is correct and these are new switches... anything else I can check? Would the switch be closed when its at its highest position or open?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm having the exact same issue right after the shop installed brand new limit switches. Unfortunately I totally screwed up my prop and skeg a little since I didnt know there was such thing as a trailer switch... I spent two hours trying to get my boat out of the water on the ramp since it got stuck on the concrete of the ramp and I coudnt tow it out. I took both arms off with a pair of need nose pliers while underwater. :)

Since the shop put them in I assume wiring is correct and these are new switches... anything else I can check? Would the switch be closed when its at its highest position or open?

We can help DrP but please start another thread, don't hijack this one

drpepper68

Seaman
Well seeing its the exact same issue I dont see it as being hijacked but will start another thread anyway.