After adjusting the new shift cable i can only get F or R to work........not both

kamikazz1234

Recruit
My Shift cable broke on my 2005 Mercury 115 two stroke outboard motor. I replaced it and adjust the cable to fit easily on with the motor and shifter both in neutral. But the motor would only go into F and would not go into R. So i adjusted it and then it would only go into R and not into F. I tried several different adjustments, but no luck. I even adjusted one time and it barley went into F and R (but it made a bunch of grinding noise). I unhooked the cable and moved it from F to N to R by hand and it shifted through all 3 setting just fine.

Two Questions............could I have bought the wrong replacement cable (too short of movement) or is there an adjust up at the shift handle to make the range better to reach both F and R?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

kamikazz1234

Recruit
I figured it out........ The shifter had two different pivot points and picked the wrong one. Make sure you mark where you disconnect the old cable so you don't make the same mistake as me.