Steering cable measurements don't match old cable numbers?

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to replace my Teleflex rack and pinion steering system with a new system. When I measure the 3 places that are shown in the sticky on this forum I come up with 14.6 ft. But the steering cable in my boat is marked SSC12418. According to the Teleflex web site the last 2 digits represent the cable length, which in my case would be 18ft. That's a huge difference of 3.4ft, so I'm stumped about what length of steering cable to order for my boat. I am considering the NFB Rack system. It's a 1987 center console aluminum boat, 19ft long. The steering cable is routed down (35" measured straight down, or 40 measured on the angle that it is routed, which brings the length to 15.1ft), 92" back from the center of the steering wheel to the transom, and 43" from starboard to center of transom. The cable is routed down from the helm to the floor on a slight forward angle, then straight back an unknown distance before it is angled to the starboard side where it exits the transom to turn left again to connect to the motor. Here is a picture of the cable that is in the boat, and I have no idea if it is the OEM cable or a replacement. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

old teleflex steering cable.jpg

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It takes 2 hands and a LOT of effort to turn the steering wheel, especially at slow speeds. I don't know if it is because the steering cable is too long or just old (and the right length). Any thoughts?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I have 2 Starcraft 18' center consoles.
Conventional measuring for steering cable is not correct for center consoles.
I am using 19' steering cables.
The cable has 5 90* bends, instead of the usual 2 bends for a side console helm, each bend needs approximately an extra foot of cable.
The cable also has to travel the extra distance from under the floor center, over to the starboard side

The only time a steering cable will make your steering tight, is when the cable is bent too tightly, or the cable sheath is wore out.

You should be fine with an 18', like the original, or possible a 19', if you have space for the extra cable to lay.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Roscoe, much appreciated. I doubt this steering mechanism was ever greased or maintained. But it has very few issues for a boat of its age, and I am proud to own it. I want to get another 30 years out of it, so I don't mind putting some time and money into it. The bends in this cable don't appear to be more than 90 degrees or too tight, so it must be age. I don't think the PO covered it, which means it was exposed to the harsh northern NY winters for the 8 years he owned it.

Last edited:

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seastar Solutions (Teleflex) called me back today and told me I would be fine going with the 18ft cable and the NFB Rack steering system. I already ordered it online and it shipped today. Looking forward to driving my boat with a new steering system on it.