Heavy steering

Macca1500s

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I have a 15 foot ski boat, it's a very light boat and has a 90 hp Johnson 1999 my question is does the steering have to be so heavy, I am used to power steering in previous boats.

But this is heavy, with the motor trimmed in and when I accelerate to plane it's a monster until I can get it trimmed out, at cruise speeds 30 mph it's ok-ish but if I nail it around 50 mph and trimmed up its almost to hard to turn, if I have to make a quick direction change I really have to put some effort in, it's almost that if I open it up I had better be going straight, because if I need to turn it's going to get scary

On the trailer it's fine, so I'm sure there is nothing seized

Other thing is that it has the little trim fin thingo above the prop tweaked the the left I guess to counter the steering affect of the drop but it also has a foil on the anti cav plate and it has vanes that would encourage it to want to track straight

As this boat was previously used for skiing and wake boarding I guess they had the foil for low speed planing

Oh it has a 3 blade stainless prop with lots of cup and vent holes in the hub
What do you guys think can I do anything to make steering easier or do I just need to grow bigger muscles

Macca1500s

Seaman Apprentice
ok I've just taken the foil, whale tail off, and moved the trim tab, funnily enough its marked 0 ,1,2,3,4,5 etc, and was sett to zero, although at that point it favoured the left, I've moved it to the #4 position which to me seems more neutral.

this tab is also nut straight it has a small built in curve to it.

sorry if I'm showing my ignorance, 2 stroke outboards are all new to me.

I'm used to I,Os with PS

Fed

Commander
It sounds like you moved the trim tab trailing edge towards the Port side which would be correct if the boat wants to steer left.

I'm guessing at low speeds the boat is easy to turn left & right but becomes harder as you go faster?