Frozen Steering classic

Lorca

Recruit
I've got a 1976 16" Boston Whaler with a 1985(ish) Evinrude 50hp outboard. Saltwater boat... infrequent use. The tilt tube is a rusty mass and the steering cable is frozen. I know I need to replace the tilt tube & cable but need hints on getting the corroded tilt tube & cable out/off. Boat repair shop said they wouldn't touch it. I think they have all the business they need/want on nicer, newer, bigger, cleaner boats.
IMG_3646.JPG IMG_3645.JPG

I'm prepared to beat and bash the steering cable out but more concerned about driving out the tilt tube. There is a lot of rusty scale to get off. Any suggestions there? I don't have access to a lift but I'm game to put weight on the skeg if necessary. I think it weighs around 215lbs.
There it is... any helpful hints?

Last edited:

BillP

Captain
Thats a bad one but you may (likely) find the inside of the tube is in way better condition than the outside. I would use a heat gun and give it at least a dozen heat/cool cycles to see if the cable breaks free. Let it completely cool each cycle. An option on the heat is to use ice cubes for the cooling cycle..it's worked for me and standard practice anymore on stuck parts.

Use a piece of wood and mallet on the cable to ease it out. If you are going to replace the cable anyway, just cut it and the tube away in as many places possible but leave the lip where the nuts are for a driving surface if needed. At this point you should have two separate pieces, each stuck in the bracket. Go again with heat on the stuck parts left in the bracket. Use the mallet again to drive the leftovers out. Last but not least, use a small cold chisel and a blunt punch to remove the last part if nothing else works. You may be able to use (carefully) a hacksaw blade inside the tube to weaken it for easier removal. The bracket may have to dressed to take the burrs off so the new tube will slide in but a dowel and sandpaper makes quick work here.

Thats how I would do it. Good luck.