Throttle is jammed;;

Priebe85

Cadet
my boat: !989 Larson All American 190, 4.3L merc with alpha one gen 1.

Back story: I replaced the water impeller, went to put the lower unit back on and lost the washer for the shift shaft, still not sure if i have the right one but when i put it together i locked it in forward (prop locked counter clockwise) but had the control in neutral. When i tested it i forced it into gear cuz it was tight, and even harder to get back into neutral but managed to do it. But now have a jammed throttle.

So my problem then is i have the shift cable detached, and it still is stuck, will go about half way forward and not in reverse at all. The cable on the carb was locked so i took that off. The throttle on the carb would not move at all. ive taken the control unit apart and you can see the the cable for the throttle is not moving. Can i fix this or does that cable need to be replaced? In other words is it a linkage problem or did i break the cable.

Not sure how to get the cable out of the control panel and the cable runs into the stern of the boat from the back of the carb so not sure how to get that out either.

alldodge

Staff member
my boat: !989 Larson All American 190, 4.3L merc with alpha one gen 1.

Back story: I replaced the water impeller, went to put the lower unit back on and lost the washer for the shift shaft, still not sure if i have the right one but when i put it together i locked it in forward (prop locked counter clockwise) but had the control in neutral. When i tested it i forced it into gear cuz it was tight, and even harder to get back into neutral but managed to do it. But now have a jammed throttle.

So my problem then is i have the shift cable detached, and it still is stuck, will go about half way forward and not in reverse at all. The cable on the carb was locked so i took that off. The throttle on the carb would not move at all. ive taken the control unit apart and you can see the the cable for the throttle is not moving. Can i fix this or does that cable need to be replaced? In other words is it a linkage problem or did i break the cable.

Not sure how to get the cable out of the control panel and the cable runs into the stern of the boat from the back of the carb so not sure how to get that out either.

My guess is you might have bent the shift shaft, alpha experts might be along shortly.
I would suggest remove the lower section of the drive and inspect. Drop in straight down so you don't need to bother with putting the shifter in forward.

Priebe85

Cadet
Have both cables disconnected from the control box and still only have half way forward movement and won't go into reverse. Cables move freely. I can manual move them. Guessing control box is screwed?

Priebe85

Cadet
Ended up being the gear inside the control box slipped a tooth for anyone who might have the same problem. I got it back together and now the neutral button is loose and won't disengage. ... the troubles never end. ....

alldodge

Staff member
It gets me also, have had issues with different controls over time, but have never had troubles with the old models. Have a 1976 Chrysler control and it is rock solid, but my 1995 commander 3000 has issues, go figure

They just don't make anything like they use to