Converting from cable + pulley to rack steering

Gibsonman2005

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm converting my steering from a cable and pulley steering system. Going with rack system from seastar. My outboard is an early 60's Lark iii. The boat is a 1959 Dorsett Catalina.
My question:
Does anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations on how to secure the business end to the motor? I have a few ideas but I'd like to hear some success stories first. Thanks in advance.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Haven't seen any in awhile but they used to make a gimbal type cable mount that would attach to the side of the splash well otherwise there is a pivot type mount that bolts to the transom. Then another bracket is needed to affix to the motor and cable end. My best advise would be to contact Seastar customer service to help direct you to the correct parts.

Best of luck with your Dorsett I think they are really cool looking boats.

BillP

Captain
Pics would be nice (I have a 1965 Cobia and appreciate the classics). Yes, there are two basic ways to mount mount modern steering to an outboard that doesn't have a steering tube. One is a bracket that mounts in the hole of the splashwell where the steering, controls and harness go though. The other is a bracet that mounts on the transon facing forward between the engine and splashjwell hole or side of boat . Both clamp the steering cable. The cable connects to the motor pretty much the same as the old system. Check with Teleflex, they make kits for this. I've only used the transom bracket version.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm converting my steering from a cable and pulley steering system. Going with rack system from seastar. My outboard is an early 60's Lark iii. The boat is a 1959 Dorsett Catalina.
My question:
Does anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations on how to secure the business end to the motor? I have a few ideas but I'd like to hear some success stories first. Thanks in advance.

I will be interested in this ideas as well being how I have such a need for hooking up a new stick steering system to a non-tilt tube type engine setup we see these days. I understand the unusual circumstances surrounding both the steering connections AND the ability to be able to tilt up the engine for what ever reason. The physics of movement is really interesting for such engines... Also post lots of picture of your present setup and we can offer ideas and suggestions. JMHO!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well I found a page that had diagrams on both types but I don't think I can link it because it is from another distributor, but I'll try it anyways. Won't work.

So try doing a search for Teleflex Mechanical Steering Connection Kits overview, Transom support mount and Splashwell support mount.
I'LL save the page just in case.

Gibsonman2005

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All great advice guys, thanks!
Unfortunately I've discovered two broken off and seized bolts that hold the lower unit together. I don't have the money to buy a new outboard so I'm trying to figure out a way to have my steering problem back...it was a much better problem to have.
I tried to make a new thread for this but couldn't find that pesky button...
Pics to come soon.

Last edited:

Gibsonman2005

Petty Officer 3rd Class
For some reason the file size of pics from my phone are too big for uploads to this site. I will keep trying.

About the seized and broken bolt situation:
One I drilled out and (before I knew it was siezed) tried the easy-out method. Result: broken easy-out tip inside siezed bolt. i did the process properly and did get about a 1/32nd of a turn with much finess before the easy-out quit.
The 2nd bolt: the idiot whoever had it before me tried to drill it out with a giant drill bit that walked all over the place. Geez I wish my pics would upload.

I guess I'm wondering, do I throw the new impeller and new seals in it and put it all back together and just weld the seams up? I really don't want to go that route unless I absolutely have to.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
For some reason the file size of pics from my phone are too big for uploads to this site. I will keep trying.

About the seized and broken bolt situation:
One I drilled out and (before I knew it was siezed) tried the easy-out method. Result: broken easy-out tip inside siezed bolt. i did the process properly and did get about a 1/32nd of a turn with much finess before the easy-out quit.
The 2nd bolt: the idiot whoever had it before me tried to drill it out with a giant drill bit that walked all over the place. Geez I wish my pics would upload.

I guess I'm wondering, do I throw the new impeller and new seals in it and put it all back together and just weld the seams up? I really don't want to go that route unless I absolutely have to.

Oh WOW Gibsonman. I hate to hear that about the lower unit. But If you can somehow get those two broken bolts out, that would be the best deal yet. DON'T weld the parts together. A broken off Easy-Out is a real pain to deal with and I thing most of us has done that one time or more. I try my best to stay away from easy outs myself (even though I have a lot of them in the shop) and go the little drill bit at a time effort and increase the size until I get close enough to tap the remaining bolt from the threads. I take it the broken off bolts are in the mid section and not in the lower foot section. I know this really sound bad, but I would remove the mid section and then work on the broken bolts. Maybe even having them milled out at a machine shop. Then you could fill the holes (if need be) and drill and tape them back to standard threads again. Sounds like a lot of work, but then you save the motor as well. Other option is to buy a used mid section and replace it. As for the posting pictures. I usually take my pictures and then resize them smaller to post on here and that works pretty well... Don't give up... :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
GA_ thanks for posting that. That is the page I was trying to link before but it wouldn't allow me to.