Help, my Kohler generator won't start.

Ongjer

Cadet
Hey everybody

Anybody know a good way to start up the generator? When I turn the switches to "generator" and press the start button, nothing happens at all, no sounds, no turning over. I even tried the start button on the generator itself and it won't start, What may be the problem?

Please help

alldodge

Staff member
Hey everybody

Anybody know a good way to start up the generator? When I turn the switches to "generator" and press the start button, nothing happens at all, no sounds, no turning over. I even tried the start button on the generator itself and it won't start, What may be the problem?

Please help

How is the battery voltage, got 12V?
Have the same voltage at the starter solenoid?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, if your generator is anything like the Onan generators, you have a lot of things to check to get it running. I have been fixing my neighbors Onan generator now for a while, off and on. His has a oil pressure sensor, and so many sensors that everything has to be perfect for it to start. I ended up replacing both the starter solenoid, the actual starter and the wire burnt between those two, removing and cleaning the oil pressure switch, the ignition coil needed cleaned and repaired, the carburetor, and the fuel pump. And I even removed the circuit board controller and check it out. So you are going to have to get a schematic diagram for your generator and start checking the power wires first...

Ongjer

Cadet
Thanks so much guys!

All dodge. I believe it is 12V. But not sure.

Gm280. Thanks for the detailed reply, that is so intimidating as I have no idea where to even start. The model of generator I have is a Kohler 6.5cz23. I can't seem to find the schematics of it anywhere and not really any videos to show initial startup or how to get it going. I know that the generator has a direct gas line that attaches to the fuel tank. The tube (that looked like a fuel line)!was disconnected. It was totally dry. After connecting it back, still no sign of starting.

Maybe it needs gas? If so how can I get some in there?

alldodge

Staff member
Maybe it needs gas? If so how can I get some in there?
If the engine will not crank there is no need for gas

press the start button, nothing happens at all, no sounds, no turning over
My understanding is that the engine will not turn over at either location, if it will then I'll regroup. I have a Kohler Gen and also have the owners manual with schematic.