Jon boat electrical

colt1567

Recruit
I was thinking about adding electric to my 14' jon boat. It is a mid 60's fiberglass. My dilema is that I have no idea where to start, and I have no idea what parts I would need. I would run a troling motor, nav lights, maybe a fish finder, and have a couple outlets for other accessories. Obviously the trolling motor would be the biggest draw on the system. Just looking for a good baseline to start, not really looking to put a fancy switch board or anything in.

alldodge

Staff member
I was thinking about adding electric to my 14' jon boat. It is a mid 60's fiberglass. My dilema is that I have no idea where to start, and I have no idea what parts I would need. I would run a troling motor, nav lights, maybe a fish finder, and have a couple outlets for other accessories. Obviously the trolling motor would be the biggest draw on the system. Just looking for a good baseline to start, not really looking to put a fancy switch board or anything in.

Howdy

Here is a basic setup
Gen Wiring Diagram.jpg
This is more elaborate then you need but the setup is similar. You want a fuse or breaker to protect the circuit and some kind of switch to turn on/off. The switch can be in the unit as with the trolling motor and fish finder. Your main feed wire should be at least 10 AWG for accessories and what ever the trolling motor you have or will get. Battery size will depend on how much you will use it but guessing at least a group 27 deep cycle

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is very helpful! I appreciate it very much

My only suggestion is to NOT use the hull for a ground. Make good quality return grounds for each circuit. You will never ever have problems that way... JMHO!