Temperature Gauge

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1988 Bayliner Capri with a Force Outboard motor. I bought it used. It has a Temperature Alarm but no Temperature Gauge.
I'm wondering if my boat a can adopt a Temperature Gauge.
I bought a gauge from a 1989 Bayliner for $15 but not sure if I can even install one on my 1988 Bayliner. Anyone know for sure or how to wire something like that. I included some pics if it helps.

Last edited:

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo226533.png
    photo226533.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • photo226534.png
    photo226534.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • photo226535.jpg
    photo226535.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 2

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The gauge does you no good unless you have the sender that goes on the engine. These are available from Teleflex or Faria. There are two basic types of senders. One is a "contact" type of sender that fastens under a head bolt and the sensor make contact with the cylinder head. This type is more appropriately called a cylinder head temperature gauge. The other type of sender screws into the water jacket if a threaded port is available. That sender can also mount under a head bolt using an optional "Z" bracket. For wiring, just connect the "I", "L" and ground terminals on the gauge to the corresponding terminals on any other gauge. The"S" (sender) terminals requires a wire from the terminal to the sender on the engine. "I" is 12 volts with the key in the RUN position. "L" is the internal light and is active when the NAV lights are on. Ground is ground.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
So it's totally possible on my motor then. The "Contact" type sounds good. I should be able to adapt that to my engine no problem?

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Much thanks Silvertip. Hope not asking too much but do you by chance know when the Head Bolt is OR The Water Jacket? Maybe you can help me find it? Obviously I'm very knew at this.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Put up a picture of your engine from the back end (where the spark plugs are). Head bolts are spaced around the plate (the cylinder head) that the spark plugs screw into. You want to pick one closest to the upper spark plug as that area will be the hottest part of the engine. I can't show you the water jacket becaus3e it is all covered up with the cylinder head and the outer part of the engine casting. The water jacket is where the water circulates around the cylinders. There would need to be a threaded hole in the cylinder head for you to use a threaded temperature sender. I suggest you go on Ebay or some other source and located a Factory Service Manual (not an operators manual) if you intend to work on this engine yourself. It saves time, money, and helps prevent costly mistakes. It will also help you identify the various parts of the engine.

NYBo

Admiral
On the top of the head is threaded plug (stainless steel slotted on my motor). You can mount the sender in that hole. I think it's 1/8" NPT. You might need an adapter. Be sure the whole assembly clears the cowl.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here is a pic. Thanks for all your help btw silvertip and NYBo. Also, on the other pic, I assume any one of these will do depending on the bolt size. So the bolt replaces the head bolt?

Attachments

• photo226670.jpg
    photo226670.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo226671.jpg
    photo226671.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Go back and read my description of the two types of senders. The pictures of the senders you posted above and not bolts nor do they replace a bolt. Bolts hold two or more things together. The sender cannot do that as it is more of a plug than a bolt. I also do not see a water jacket plug on your motor so those senders must be used with a "Z" bracket. Now to head bolts. See the orange wire in the picture just above and to the left of the center spark plug? That is the temperature "switch" that triggers the over heat alarm. It is a switch (ON or OFF) and not a sender and would remain in place. Just to the right and slightly above that switch is the head of a bolt. That's a head bolt and there are six of them evenly spaced around each cylinder with a spark plug in the center of that bolt-circle. The head bolt just above and right of the temp switch would be removed and a "Z" - shaped bracket slipped over the bolt and bolt inserted again. The sender you show would then be screwed into the bracket so the end of the sender touches the cylinder head in the area close to the top spark plug. You would need the size sender that matches the threaded hole in the "Z" bracket. The "Z" bracket is also available from Faria or Teleflex. Just a heads up for future reference -- although your Bayliner has a Force outboard, all Bayliners do not. Boat builders have no idea what brand engine will be installed on them although some, like Bayliner did with certain models, have factory packages that included a trailer and engine. So when asking questions specific to the engine, 1988 Bayliner means nothing. You need the make and model of the engine to get meaningful responses. No offense intendend, but I sense a lack of mechanical and probably electrical skills so I again strongly suggest you obtain a service manual for your engine to avoid costly mistakes and to help you better understand your outboard engine.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Thanks silver tip. I got the manual. One more quick question. Could the sender be used in place of the heat alarm where the orange wire is coming out of. In reading the manual it mentions an optional temp gauge.

Attachments

• photo226683.jpg
    photo226683.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've done some looking around for a "Z" bracket. Can't find it or don;t recognize it maybe. You think you can post a image of what it looks like.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Why would you want to delete the existing sensor since it provides an audible alarm. With a temp gauge you might not see the overheat until it's too late. But the answer is no! The temperature sensor is not a replacement for the temperature switch. Here is a link to everything you need to know about temperature senders, where they fit in an engine as well as examples of Z-brackets and contact type senders. Here is what you look for:

https://www.google.com/search?q=out...I27upgccCFYYNkgodttYKJA#imgrc=VClEw6x9WAjlnM:

1) Installing a threaded sender (like your picture) into the water jacket is shown in row #1 3rd drawing from the left.
2) A simple head bolt mounted sensor is shown on row #5, 2nd picture from the left.
3) A Z bracket is shown in Row #19 3rd picture from the left. It is a simple bracket that mounts under a head bolt. The sender then screws into it.

Here is another link to temperature senders and installation. Part numbers are listed in the instructions. You can search Amazon, EBay, or the various marine sites to locate the bracket. You can even make it if you are handy at all.

http://www.v3instruments.com/trouble_shooting_guides/temperature_outboards_ts.pdf

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I actually wouldn't want to delete it. I thought since the manual spoke of an optional heat gauge, they both went in the same place. One or the other. Obviously i was wrong. Really appreciate all the help Silvertip. Thanks for taking the time.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I remove the head bolt to put one the Bracket, do I have to worry about torque or anything else or just tighten it back up. Also, where can I find the plug that plugs into the back of the Gauge.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
No Title

The water jacket plug is circled in red. It's on the top of the head.

Attachments

• photo226873.jpg
    photo226873.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1

NYBo

Admiral
No Title

From one of your other pix:

Attachments

• photo226874.png
    photo226874.png
    1 MB · Views: 1

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks NYBo. So I took another picture. That screw on the top. Is that where the sender would screw into?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Bingo! It's the slotted stainless steel plug in your pix.