Dead trim and ignition on Force 120

jd1234

Recruit
My Force 120 was recently services and starter replaced. We ran fine for a month, but leaving shore yesterday the trim and ignition were suddenly dead, seconds after working properly. Still have lots of battery power off both batteries, and have power to the dash, instruments and bilge pump. Just nothing to the ignition and the trim switch. No sound of relays or anything.
Any ideas? Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Clean all the connection at the battery and and where the cables connect on the motor. That means taking them off and making all connections shiny bright.

jd1234

Recruit
Thanks for having me. I look forward to participating.
Tried cleaning connections today, and checked all fuses at the motor and under the dash. I wonder if a connection in the shifter could defeat power to the tilt switches and the ignition? Not sure I am skilled enough to take that mechanism apart.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Trim usually works with the key on or off. The power goes from the battery to the relays and to the trim switch, all through fuses/circuit breakers isolated from the rest of the boat power system. All the neutral switch does is interrupt the voltage from the key switch to the starter solenoid.

What remote control do you have?

NYBo

Admiral
No Title

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

There will be a fuse or circuit breaker under the motor cowl for these functions. The circuit breaker will look something like this:

Attachments

• photo226449.jpg
    photo226449.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What NYbo said, except that it may also be a fuse in a rubber sleeve, it will be somewhere in a line coming off the solenoid. Trace the wires from the battery where they come in under the hood, follow the red ones, you'll find a blown fuse or open breaker. For both things to quit almost guarantees that is what it is.

I don't think there is anything in the controller that could cause both things to fail.

The picture is of my 70 Johnson, the fuse I'm talking about is in the heavier red wire to the right of the picture, in the sleeve clamped in the stainless holder. You want to look for something similar to that.

NYBo

Admiral
If it's a fuse, it's probably a blade type rather than the older glass tube type.

Old Coward

Cadet
Was having this same issue on my mercury 140. Looked for something similar to what was pictured and found it. It was a Plug that had some how become partially disconnected. I had already replaced my ignition switch and cleaned up all terminals. Once I plugged that back together I was able to start the engine and had all function back. Thanks for all you guys do on here. Maybe some day I will be the one chiming in on how to "fix it".