Electrical problem!??

RedBaron2006

Cadet
Ok I have a 96 sun tracker party barge with a 75 hp Mercury on it. Today we couldn't get it to start at the ramp so we bring it home throw it on the charger and later I got to start it. Put water to it cranked it it catches off the bat and runs a second then dies.. Seems typical for it... Cranked again it catches off the bat runs a second or two then dies and takes everything with it... Everything is dead... All gauges no clicking no nothing!! Any ideas on this?? I've had this boat maybe 3 weeks so I'm still learning on it

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Fuse blown under the engine cover. What is your starting procedure? Using the fast idle lever and choke/primer properly?

RedBaron2006

Cadet
Well I usually lower the engine squeeze primer bulb to make sure it's full then turn it over.. It's electric choke on the key and I'm not sure about what you mean on fast idle lever..?? Haha this is my first boat. I did check it last night and gauges are workin and lighting up again but I haven't tried starting it again yet.

RedBaron2006

Cadet
Quick update.. Everything has power and is turning on and turning over now... No blown fuse or anything... Tried to crank it over and it's trying to catch but won't.. Took the engine cover off and looks like the carb is flooding... Also should there be a filter on the carb??? Lol

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If electrical items are intermittent (all of them) then you best pay attention to the condition of the battery cables. Remove them, make them shiny clean and then reassemble them -- tightly. And remember there are two ends to each cable. Your failure to start problem is likely operator error since you don't know you have or how to use the fast idle lever. On the top of the throttle shift control is a flat lever. For cold starts you raise that lever up. This allows the engine to idle faster after startup. Your engine has a primer system -- not a choke. It injects a bit of extra fuel when you hold the key in when starting. It also has a primer bulb that you squeeze until it is firm. This pressurizes the fuel system for first start of the day/week/month. So here is the proper COLD starting procedure. That is the first start of the day:

1) Squeeze the primer bulb until firm.
2) Raise the fast idle lever about 2/3 up.
3) Turn the key to START and push it IN until the engine fires.
4) Release the key and then lower the fast idle lever a bit to let the engine warm up.
5) Be ready to bump (momentarily push in) the key to give the engine another shot of fuel if it tends to want to die during warm up. Don't wait until it dies. Be ready!!!
6) When the engine has a stable idle, lower the fast idle lever fully and go boating. With the fast idle lever raised you CANNOT shift the boat so do not try unless you want to break something.

With the engine warm, you should only have to hit the key to restart but again, use of the fast idle lever helps. You "generally" do not need to push in on the key on warm starts.

RedBaron2006

Cadet
Ok I was able to get it started and running and discovered the fast idle lever is part of the actual throttle handle on this boat... It has a little bit of way up or down for throttle without engaging the actual drive. I played with it some when I got it started and it seems to be accurate of what I read... There's no other lever there so that was throwing me off a lot on what you were telling me. Thank you so much for you advice I really appreciate the help! Hopefully we will get it out this weekend!

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On a lot of those Merc controllers from those years you can either push a button in the center of the handle or pull out on the center of the handle and then move the lever forward to advance the throttle without shifting from neutral, to start a low idling or flooded engine. If you post a pic of your controller I can tell you which one you have. Bringing the lever back to the neutral/idle position will reengage the shift linkage.

RedBaron2006

Cadet
Ok i can't get it to post a picture but it's a quicksilver 3000 and I figured out the throttle only button on the side like you said.. Is it specific to which way you pull the handle though? Had it give me a hard time starting again today after having run and cooled down and could not get it to start again! Had to get towed... Gotta figure this stupid thing out...

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Push the button in and roll the throttle forward to give it advance and fuel, a warm motor will usually start with a little extra fuel, You can roll it all the way to the wide open position to start a flooded engine, but be prepared to pull it back quickly when the engine fires.

RedBaron2006

Cadet
Thanks for all the advice! Taken it out 2 times now for the day with no problems... Guess that was the only issue... Inexperience haha!