battery isolators pros and cons

reefguy

Cadet
I currently have a 2 batteries setup on a switch on my '79 (single 350, 26ft searay weekender. I have a battery isolator that i was going to put on my car audio system, but figured would it make my life abit easier to put it on the boat. because i have to open the engine hatch to switch backthe battery from 1/2/both, so figured would be feasible to install it and don't have to worry about forgetting to put the switch back and end up stranded. So would it be more problems with the battery isolator or not?

thanks

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I currently have a 2 batteries setup on a switch on my '79 (single 350, 26ft searay weekender. I have a battery isolator that i was going to put on my car audio system, but figured would it make my life abit easier to put it on the boat. because i have to open the engine hatch to switch backthe battery from 1/2/both, so figured would be feasible to install it and don't have to worry about forgetting to put the switch back and end up stranded. So would it be more problems with the battery isolator or not?

thanks

Have one which was factory installed on my Formula (3 bank) and one I installed on my Rinker (2 bank), and have not had any issues. Work very well

UncleWillie

Captain
A battery Isolator is Old School technology. It works, but you will lose about 1 volt to the batteries due to the Diodes.
You will still need a battery switch if you want the option of starting from the alternate battery.
The ACR is the modern replacement. It requires No manual intervention in normal operation.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Mount the switch where it is easy to get to and then use it "smartly" so you don't have constantly fiddle with it.

reefguy

Cadet
thanks, guess i might have to look for a new spot for it, where water won't possibly splash on it..

UncleWillie

Captain
If you tend to run a short distance and anchor for hours with the Audio System operating and switch to BOTH while underway to recharge the audio battery... Unless the trip takes way longer than an hour each way, The charge delivered to the Audio Battery may be insufficient, and a shore powered charger may be required to complete the charge.
If that is the case, save the effort of selecting BOTH and just recharge from shore power between trips.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yandina combiner installed 3 years ago to isolate "house" battery on pontoon, works well and no problems so far.

reefguy

Cadet
well, I want to start taking out the family for fishing trips again, mainly saltwater. So approx. about 2.5 hours of total cruising during the day, just going from one spot to another. I wanted to upgrade our radio/speakers, since I'm the skipper, deckhand, medical coordinator and everything else in between. So with everything else going on, i forget to fiddle with the switch when we came to a particular area to fish, so i was figuring the isolator was something ideal for me. so i don't kill the start battery and not get stranded.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Those are the exact same reasons I have the Yandina on my pontoon. I want to go where I'm going, run the radio if I want, a couple lights in the evening, and not have to worry about if I set the switch in the right position or not.

I have a Perko switch on my Sea Nymph fishing boat, it does what it's supposed to also. I set it on BOTH when I leave the house and turn it to OFF when I get home, it's original purpose is to allow me to isolate the second battery to keep it from running down from fish finders, radios etc. I have only used it to isolate the batteries one time on a Perch trip out about 5 miles from Erie. Now it serves mostly to isolate both batteries so I don't have to worry about a phone charger or the light on an outlet running the starting batteries down through the week.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
well, I want to start taking out the family for fishing trips again, mainly saltwater. So approx. about 2.5 hours of total cruising during the day, just going from one spot to another. I wanted to upgrade our radio/speakers, since I'm the skipper, deckhand, medical coordinator and everything else in between. So with everything else going on, i forget to fiddle with the switch when we came to a particular area to fish, so i was figuring the isolator was something ideal for me. so i don't kill the start battery and not get stranded.

As all the above will work, and as we all indicated these are our opinions and real world operations. Isolators work and are still being installed by manufactures today, guess old school still works. The .7V difference has no real issues with day to day operations, at the end of the day the boat gets plugged into a charger. ACR work very well and have no loss but they will also use a charger. Its your boat, decide and enjoy

reefguy

Cadet
Thats what i decided to do after all, is to run the isolator with the switch and since i charge the batteries overnight when i am moored for the evening. And, I don't really run the batteries down, even 50% that i know off, i just hate to have a battery/drain issue out in the middle of the ocean. I guess it may be abit of paranoia, but its only because i have the wife and kids on aboard and hate to bring myself into a silly situation, that i could have avoided, i was even thinking of dragging along a fully charge backup battery. Geezz, i hope to find the fun in boating without all the stressful things that go with it.. Hehe