trailer wiring

dean1953

Cadet
Rewiring most of my trailer. From the middle back to the lights. Have simple dig. G&B___Y&B.__Well, I have power on both brown wires. But no lights. Ran the wires along one side. I hooked the two spare wires to ground, have lights. Know this is wrong, but also it is draining truck battery.? Brown-hot, green- left light, yellow-right light, white ground. What am I'm doing wrong???? Thanks

NYBo

Admiral
What are these spare wires? You need to have a secure ground connection between the truck and the trailer. Use the white wire in the harnesses; do not rely on the hitch to provide the ground.

dean1953

Cadet
The lights are LED sealed lights with black, white and yellow. Running the brown wires back though and there hot. Connect the green and yellow back and no lights?
Why would it drain my truck batt.?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Brown wires are "hot" ----- hot when?" They should not be hot unless the truck lights are on. Yellow and green should only be hot when the turn signals or brake lights are on. Did you wire the truck yourself or does it have the factory trailer harness?" If you wired it yourself, next question is did you incorporate a converter if the truck has separate turn and brake circuits. That would be absolutely true if the turn signals are amber on your truck. Lights on a trailer should not drain the tow vehicle battery unless you have them turned on.

dean1953

Cadet
Someone else wired the trailer before I bought it. Hade wire nuts on it and one side did not work. I did have a converter installed for a travel trailer, but only works with the large plug? Should I ignore the white wire coming from the lights or ground them? Wiring diagram looks simple, just missing something!

UncleWillie

Captain
... Brown-Hot, Green-Left light, Yellow-Right light, white ground. What am I'm doing wrong???? Thanks

There is No HOT Wire!
Recheck you wiring colors!

Pin - Color - Function
1 - White - Common Ground
2 - Brown - Tail/Marker Lights
3 - Yellow - Left Brake/Turn Signals
4 - Green - Right Brake/Turn Signals
5 - Blue - Backup Light Signal. (Disables Surge Brakes when Reversing.) [Optional]

Your lights could be ...
White = Ground
Black = Tail/Markers (Normal)
Yellow = Brake/Turn (Brighter)

Confirm this first by connecting to a battery.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Yes each light needs a ground whether it be to the trailer frame or to the white wire in the trailer plug. If the trailer frame is used as a ground, then the white wire from the plug must also be attached to the trailer frame.