Speaker Instal in Engine Cover?

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone tried this? It seems an obvious location for sound dispersion into my open bow but now I'm wondering if the heat may cause damage to the speakers. Thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
sub2010ss, not so sure that would be a great idea, and here is my reasoning. When speakers are mounted, not only does the front disperse sound, but also the back of the speaker. And anything that would upset that rear dispersion will change the sound as well. Some speaker designs even use that back firing sound to assist with the output of the front to boost bass and such. Ported speakers are that way. So with an engine offering contrasting noise when running would make the sound suspect in my opinion. Then there is both the heat and obvious vibrations to deal with. I think I would look for a more subtle area to mount your speakers. But that is just my opinion. And yes I have built many speaker cabinets myself... :noidea:

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think I already had myself talked out of it but that's another solid negative.

NYBo

Admiral
They would be great for transmitting engine noise to the cockpit!