speedo and tach doesn't work

golonaus

Recruit
hi guys
looking 4 little advice
I had my bayliner 2000 capri 1600 on water for the first time today
I noticed that speedo and the tach doesn't work.
what should I look for?
isnt it odd that both are not working ?
engine is mercury 90hp overboard

any advice what should I check first?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay the two really have nothing to do with each other. The speedometer uses a pitot tube with a tube attached to the back of the speedometer. And how it actually works is the water pressure is transferred to the gauge and read as speed. Your gauge probably doesn't have equal spacing to show speed. And that's because the pressure isn't linear but logarithmic. So if it isn't working, check for either a plugged pitot tube on the engine itself, or a pitot tube attached to the transom with a tube attached. Here is a picture of a standard transom mounted pitot tube;
184957d1420642654-pitot-tube-speedometer-broken-speedo-png

You can see how the tube is attached in this picture.

Now for the tachometer. There are a few things that can keep a tach from reading. The tach isn't connected up correctly, or the tach is bad, or the stator on the engine is defective. So you have to see if the tach has the correct connections first. There should be a positive wire and a ground wire going to the back of the gauge. Make sure the positive wire has 12 volts on it, and you have a good ground as well. Then there should be a third wire that goes to the engine and depending on the engine where that wire would be connected. If a basic 2 cycle outboard, then that wire attaches to the stator output... So make those checks and post back here with your results... :thumb:

Butter Bean

Seaman
hello GM I have the same deal as golonaus as far as the tach, I have that 3 wire loom coming from behind the dash area to the rear 2 I have hooked to the light and a 3rd I have no idea where it goes. I have a 1973 65hp evenrude any idea where the tach wire goes on the stater? I cannot see a place for it

thanks
Tom

Last edited: