5.7 l mercruiser alt wires

rickryder

Commander
Hi guys.. I'm looking to hook up the voltage gauge and need to find the unrectfied post/wire on the alternator

Bondo

Staff member
Naw, No ya don't,.... A voltage gauge at the dash just needs a wire from the ignition switch,....

With our boat systems, the voltage is the same through out the system,....

rickryder

Commander
Hi Bondo long time my friend !

That's what I thought. ..I'm showing my voltage at the new Faria multi gauge pinned at 18 v I just installed it and everything. .oil ,temp,fuel ate working fine just the volt gauge...

I checked volts at battery and in multiple sources on the boat and I'm getting 13.5 to 14v

I read on Faria's website that the volt wire on the gauge went to unrectfied voltage.... what am I missing?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You either have a defective voltmeter or there is something wrong with the charging system. The positive, negative, and light connections on the voltmeter can be connected to the same terminals on any other working gauge. That's the way electricity works. You cannot read 18 volts from a 12 volt regulated electrical system. With the engine running at anything over idle speed it will read 13.5 - 14.5 volts. Anything more and you are cooking the battery. Connecting the gauge to an unrectified source means the gauge will be reading AC voltage. Don't know what manual you are reading but here is Faria's installation tips and it clearly states power from the ignition (which is where all the other gauges get power from so connecting to any other gauge is the same thing).

http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0004f.pdf

rickryder

Commander
Ok so after further review The manual I read was for a combo gauge that had a tach..... :facepalm: I must have a bad gauge .... Thanks guys