Minnkota trolling motor thrust identification needed

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an old but working Minnkota 99 12/24V trolling motor I need to identify the thrust rating on. I believe it is 8 speed but I assume that is with two batteries for 24V. I can't find it anywhere online as yet and need the thrust rating to compare to new Minnkota Endura Max trolling motor thrust ratings.

I am assuming the thrust rating if hooked up as 24V to two batteries would be increased compared to one battery but am not knowledgeable here so I'm uncertain if this logic is correct.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
seanymph85, yes your assessment is correct. The thrust output will most certainly be great at 24 volts then 12 volts. Otherwise why even have 24 volt option. However, I don't know what the trust rating could be. Maybe others will chime in and offer that info... :sorry:

dwco5051

Commander
Found an old post on the forum about a minn kota 99 12/24 41# thrust.

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the info. I hadn't received any info from Minnkota yet so this info is most helpful. It appears than that the thrust on the MK 99 12/24 is 41 lbs. on 24V so I can use that for comparison of newer motors. I was considering trying to get a MK Endura Max 45lb. thrust for my boat. The size only calls for 40 minimum but I thought going a bit over would be of some benefit.

I need to borrow a second battery to try the MK 99 on 24V and see how that works first. If it works well then I need a second battery, a deep cycle battery anyway and could delay getting a newer trolling motor until next season.

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Call Minn Kota the number and model are on the under side of the head.. very good support!

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone happen to have an idea of the difference in thrust generated with a 12/24V motor when using only one battery and the switch on 12V? In this case the TM is 41 lbs.of thrust. It would seem reasonable to guess half the thrust but I am far from an expert on this. My TM would operate on one 12V battery but I am uncertain of the approximate reduction in thrust on top speed with one battery and switched to 12V vs. as compared to two batteries and switched to 24V.

It would seem reasonable to assume this motor has 41 lbs. thrust max. on 24V and a guess is half that on 12V with one battery. I know I want and need the second battery but also need an idea of the amount of thrust difference it will make.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think your TM setting on the 12 volt input would be more then half the trust rating. I would think more towards 2/3 trust of the top published 41 pound rating. And if I'm not mistaken, I am presently rebuilding one of them right now. I completely disassembled the entire TM apart and cleaned, sanded, replaced bearings and cones and wiring and now ready for primer and paint. So I have one, but will probably sell it after it is finished. I don't want a 12/24 volt trolling motor myself. I have a 14' tri-hull boat and there is ZERO need for anything in the 24 volt range. And unless you are planning to troll in heavy current and/or substantial wind, you will never need 41 pounds thrust either. And I am equally sure that the published pounds of thrust is on the max speed setting with a fully charged battery. So trust rating is merely a comparison baseline and certainly not the usual output... JMHO!