the type of battery i need for a unregulated charging system !

mpd51890

Cadet
Okay iv been researching and i could find a exact answer im looking for, i have 91 johnson 88spl fixed the charging system and rpm, (Replaced the rectifier) and the battery is getting about 15V+, i have been seeing that i want a group 27 or 31 battery, the guy at the store is saying i want a Cranking battery not a deep cycle, but online i thought it said get deep cycle, so can i have some people opinions on this or who has an ungregulated charging system. thank you!

Alumarine

Captain
I've used the same starting battery for the last 6 years with my unregulated merc and it still works perfect.

mpd51890

Cadet
I've used the same starting battery for the last 6 years with my unregulated merc and it still works perfect.

what kind of battery is it a normal 24? or group 27 or 31? cause i have the 24 interstate and the battery is good, just has high charging voltage at like 15 or 16v dont want to blow anything or melt anything lol hate to spend the money if i dont have too

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
what kind of battery is it a normal 24? or group 27 or 31? cause i have the 24 interstate and the battery is good, just has high charging voltage at like 15 or 16v dont want to blow anything or melt anything lol hate to spend the money if i dont have too

As long as it is a marine battery you are good to go.

Alumarine

Captain

Without going out to look at it I'd guess it's a 24.
It was the least expensive marine battery that WM sold at time.

Like Bill said, if it's a marine battery, you're good.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Use a starting battery,your group 24 Interstate is fine. Your '91 88 spl has a regulator/rectifier, the DC voltage is regulated. I don't know exactly at what voltage but at some point the regulator bleeds extra voltage off.

You want to avoid the temptation to just put a rectifier from a smaller motor on these V4's they are putting out more current than the smaller HP Stators and will fry stuff without the water cooled in block regulator/rectifier.

Assuming you have tilt/trim, here is the iboats link to you R/R

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...d_poid=334784&gd_row=182&session_id=068964792

Last edited:

mpd51890

Cadet
Use a starting battery,your group 24 Interstate is fine. Your '91 88 spl has a regulator/rectifier, the DC voltage is regulated. I don't know exactly at what voltage but at some point the regulator bleeds extra voltage off.

You want to avoid the temptation to just put a rectifier from a smaller motor on these V4's they are putting out more current than the smaller HP Stators and will fry stuff without the water cooled in block regulator/rectifier.

Assuming you have tilt/trim, here is the iboats link to you R/R

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...d_poid=334784&gd_row=182&**********=068964792

Okay yeah I belive I just have a rectifier, no regulator, that's why I'm asking a question about the battery, but I'm guessing that part would regulate the voltage for me. And yes have the motor tilt trim

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Of course the unregulated voltage appears high (+15 volts or so) but in reality, that voltage in not a constant level. It is merely chopped DC voltage because the rectifier does change the stator voltage from AC to DC, it is pulsed DC and not a level DC voltage If you could actually see the DC voltage going to your battery, you would see a pulsed type picture. So unless you have some electrical issues, other then the battery charging, it won't make any difference... The battery will handle it without issue... And to be able to actually charge any type battery, the voltage has to be higher then the battery voltage or it won't charge... JMHO!

mpd51890

Cadet
Of course the unregulated voltage appears high (+15 volts or so) but in reality, that voltage in not a constant level. It is merely chopped DC voltage because the rectifier does change the stator voltage from AC to DC, it is pulsed DC and not a level DC voltage If you could actually see the DC voltage going to your battery, you would see a pulsed type picture. So unless you have some electrical issues, other then the battery charging, it won't make any difference... The battery will handle it without issue... And to be able to actually charge any type battery, the voltage has to be higher then the battery voltage or it won't charge... JMHO!

Okay so your saying I will be fine with the batteryear I have? It's not a sealed unit so it can be filled if needed

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You don't want a sealed battery when the motor doesn't have a regulator. The battery acts as the regulator and excessive charging voltage can boil the electrolyte. So your lead/acid battery is fine, just watch the fluid level and keep it filled with distilled water.