VHF radio questions

boatman37

Lieutenant
looking at a 2 way mounted radio or my boat. i already have the antenna mounted on the boat. i was in a boat a couple of weeks ago that had a brand new 2 way installed in it. it read the coordinates and MPH on the screen. is this standard? any recommendations on which model or brand i should look at?

thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wouldn't say a VHF/GPS combo is standard, but many newer radios do have a safety feature called DSC - Digital Selective Calling. DSC radios will transmit an ID and other info in case of an emergency.

A radio with built in GPS makes the set-up much easier with the need for other external equipment. Here is one model VHF/GPS, there are several more to look at here.

UncleWillie

Captain
It is common, if the radio is attached to a GPS Chart Plotter.
If it isn't attached, the DSC Feature can not transmit your location in an emergency. So. Yes! Pretty Common.

The big name in Marine Radios is "Standard Horizon". Your budget and panel space, will determine the model.
The latest models have GPS built in. This eliminates the need to cable it to your Chart Plotter.

boatman37

Lieutenant
thanks. the other boat only had the radio and fish finder. no separate GPS so it must have been a standalone. not sure i actually need all that but if i'm buying one i might as well get the cadillac...lol. i do plan to buy a GPS at a later time. possibly a fish finder too

UncleWillie

Captain
Where are you located?
Unless you go out on Big Water, you may never be able to use it.
It is not like a CB Radio where you can talk as you wish.
There are lots of rules, with lots of restrictions.
Even though I have been 20 miles offshore, in 3 years I have never spoken to anyone.
I would get a ChartPlotter/Sonar first.

They start at under $100. The Cadillac Radios go for well less than $400, antenna NOT included.
And they all have GPS connectivity by law.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i don't have plans at the time to go on big water (maybe Erie at some point) and no intentions of chatting on it (i hate even talking on my cell phone...lol). but more of a "just-in-case" thing. i see almost all of the boats at our marina have them. maybe to navigate locks?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Unless you go out on Big Water, you may never be able to use it. It is not like a CB Radio where you can talk as you wish.
I would have to disagree with statement. .

Well, maybe not on a pond, but certainly useful anywhere there are other boats or services. Calling ahead for services and hailing passing boaters are just some of the possibilities on any body of water.

Regulations require radio conversations to be for "operational" purposes, which is interpreted liberally by most boat operators. Sharing weather information, confirming a date, even obtaining a recipe for fish stew are defensible uses. Social chit-chat--say, talk about sports, movies, or shore side activities is not.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
... Well, maybe not on a pond, but certainly useful anywhere there are other boats or services.
Calling ahead for services and hailing passing boaters are just some of the possibilities on any body of water...

I agree!
Which is why I asked where he was located! ... Which we still do not know. ... Someplace near Lake Erie with Locks and a Marina. ???

If he was on a small lake with no services and other boats, if any, were usually within ear shot, the radio would be of lesser value.
He saw a radio on another vessel, which told us nothing about his situation.
There was just not enough information to make an informed decision.

Based on what we know now, a "Just in Case" Radio may have real value.

boatman37

Lieutenant
sorry. just north of Pittsburgh. we will be on the local rivers about 95% of the time. marina is about 30 miles north of pittsburgh on the ohio river. most all of the boats at our marina have a 2 way radio in them. we are new to boating so not sure what all it would/could be used for but i like to be prepared for anything i can.

there is alot of commercial traffic on the ohio river, barges and tugboats mainly. not sure if that is a reason to have a radio or not

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
The Radio will be highly useful. Especially on the Ohio River.
The Commercial River Traffic is constantly advising their positions so as to not meet at a bend in the river at the same time.
You will hear a lot of marine advisory warnings and boats in trouble. Plenty of interesting stuff!

I now understand why you do not view a GPS as required.
It is hard to get lost on a River (Excluding Fog). Upstream or Downstream are the only options. :joyous:

I thought Lake Erie was going to be a problem. We routinely go 30 miles from the ramp.
As it turns out, If you see land, that is South.
Go East, or Go West until you get to where you want to go. Lots of distinct landmarks.

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
sounds good. i still want a GPS but not sure i really NEED a GPS...lol. but thats why its at the bottom of my list. the boat is currently in the shop getting the bellows, impeller, and shift cable replaced. hope to have it in the water next weekend. going to take a safety course too.