Switch for drain plug LED light

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Going to try one of those drain plug LED lights i've been reading about. Ordered one from Diablo Customs... Seem to be good quality from what I'm reading and figured for the price, I can't go wrong and in the end if its no good, i'll have just bought a very expensive drain plug :nonchalance:

Anyway, the light comes with 10' of wire with an inline fuse that is to be connected to the battery, but I'd like to put a separate switch on it or alternately run it to my interior courtesy LED's that I installed which turn on from my courtesy switch. In other words, I don't want the the light on all the time. Any tips on doing this? Is it as simple as running the wire to the switch and connecting direct?
Thanks

sasto

Captain
No problem running it to the switch.....or pigtail the light off of the nearest courtesy light. Good Luck!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Sasto. Good call. I'll run it to the courtesy light.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Will do. Shipped out today so hoping to get it before this weekend.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got the light installed today. Pretty easy to do and seems to be pretty bright for a little light. Used a metal fish line through the drain into the bilge cause I can't reach under the motor. Hooked it up to the stern light. Originally wanted to run it to the courtesy light but it doesn't come with enough wire and I didn't feel like splicing in more. Works great, had it out on the lake today but during the day so couldn't really get a good test. Will have it out this coming Friday for the fireworks which will be a good test. Here's some pics.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I would like to see some night pictures of that. Wondering how much it will light up the back of your boat. Probably look pretty cool!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well the little drain plug puts out some decent light. Definitely a cool touch.

Waters pretty murky here ...

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks for pics..... it does look great....... think I'll do the same......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to go through all the trouble of wiring up a light, I would suggest something other than a drain plug light. First off, the drain plug is the worst location for it. Second, they are too small to put out much light as shown in the picture.

I put the Seablaze 3 Lumitec on my boat. Illuminates the water near my ladder great so when I am beached, you don't kill your feet on rocks.
http://www.lumiteclighting.com/catal...erwater-lights

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Actually wasn't much trouble at all... Took all of about 30 minutes to install.... And for $50 can't go wrong... Really wasn't doing this for any real functional purpose; just cool factor. Certainly the lights you've suggested are top notch and would be very cool but that's more $$ and time than I was looking to spend on this.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I guess, I would want them on it's own circuit so if it failed, it wouldn't wipe out my running lights. Also wouldn't want to have to have my running or anchor light on if I was using my underwater light.

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I hear ya Bruce. Probably a good idea to run a dedicated switch for sure. I threw it together quick so as to have it in for the 4th. It's on the to-do list. Thx for the advise as always.