Mercury Quicksilver side mount control, tilt switch replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bud Rig

Cadet
IMAG0281x.jpg IMAG0282x.jpg IMAG0267xxx.jpg IMAG0283x.jpg

Mercury Quicksilver side mount control, tilt switch replacement, how do I get at the switch on the handle? Not sure if this is a Commander 2000, it is on my 1991 Procraft with a Mercury 115 hp from the same year? Do I need to disassemble the control from the boat, or is there a way to just remove the handle and access the switch? I had to cut the up (blue) wire as the motor would just keep going up, and after I cut the wire, both the bow and stern trim switches work fine, so I know it is the switch, Thanks for your help, Bud

Attachments

• IMAG0281x.jpg
    IMAG0281x.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 0
With huge thanks to Bud Rig (via a PM), I was able to successfully do this job.

This YouTube video is also helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9awOKpZ7K0

The job of getting to that trim switch essentially comes down to:

(1) Remove the whole control unit from the console (but leave all the cables attached).

(2) Prise off that square 'mercury' cover using a small flat-bladed screwdriver. Under it you'll find the T/S wires and in the middle you'll also see the end tip of the large bolt that secures the throttle lever in place.

ENSURE THE THROTTLE LEVER & THE FAST_IDLE LEVERS ARE IN THEIR 'OFF/NEUTRAL' POSITIONS. (Don't worry or panic too much about this, but it'll help avoid adding unnecessary complications...)

(3) From the back of the unit, undo that single large bolt to remove the throttle lever. The lever will still be attached to the main unit by the T/S wires.

(4) On the back of the throttle lever you'll find a small metal plate held by two screws - these hold the red 'neutral-lock' lever in place. Undo these two screws and remove the red lever (it'll likely have a spring behind it - take care!)

5) This should now provide access to the back of the trim switch.

(6) Lay the main unit flat on a suitable surface - small table, stool, etc - with its 'back' facing upwards, and place a heavy object on the cables about a foot from where they come out of the unit - that should hold it all flat and steady! Undo the 5 screws that hold on the back cover - two for the bottom plate and 3 for the main one. (See the video above for hints).

That's it - you now have full access to everything - wires, connectors and gubbins. Don't disturb any of the mechs inside unless you need to, but do add a goodly dollop of fresh grease before reassembly. Don't move the cables around too much - in fact don't do anything you don't actually want to...

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the info and it will be in the archives for future use.. The thread is still old and inactive.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.