purple wire ID

cdt785

Seaman
Hi I was wondering what the purple/white wire by my battery terminal does and should that be hooked up to positive or negative? Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Hi I was wondering what the purple/white wire by my battery terminal does and should that be hooked up to positive or negative? Thanks

With next to no info on where it goes, I to am scratching my head. Got any more info to provide, like maybe is this a Merc or Volvo? What year? What brand of boat, my crystal ball just doesn't work very well

Last edited:

cdt785

Seaman
the boat is a campion boat, 1999 with a 3.0 merc motor. the purple/white wire is currently hooked up to the possitive side of the battery. everything seems to be workiing.just want to make sure it should be on the possitive side, not negative side.

UncleWillie

Captain
The POS Battery terminal will Normally have RED Wires.
The NEG Battery Terminal will Normally have BLACK or YELLOW wires.
Wire with PUR/WHT in the insulation colors, are normally associated UP Trim Limit Switch on the Out-Drive
and will NOT be connected to the Battery.

What isn't working would be a clue.
Does your Drive Stop going UP after about 5 inches, until you press the UP Trailing Button?

Last edited:

cdt785

Seaman
Hi there Uncle willie. The drive does stop after 5 or 6 inches. The purple wire does have an eye on the end of it. thanks

UncleWillie

Captain
The answer to the question would be to determine where the other end of the wire goes! ???
Pur/Wht on a battery post is highly suspect. If it is correct, some redneck wiring is going on.