new tack and amp gaugel

ken bee

Recruit
i have a tack and amp gauge that i want to install on a 1974 4cyl mercury motor. where on the engine block do i put the wires?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Neither one goes on the engine "block". Tach connects to tach wire from the voltage regulator. I would not bother with the ammeter because a "voltmeter" is much easier to install (wire) and provides better idea of what the charging system is doing. Since we have no idea whose ammeter you have we have no idea if it has a shunt or not.

ken bee

Recruit
i made a mistake on the gauge name, i have a volt gauge, not an amp.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay seeing you have a volt meter instead of amp meter and that makes a lot more sense. A volt meter simply parallels on any positive negative supply lines while an amp meter goes in series. And a series connection requires a very heavy gauge wire to handle all the current flow for everything. Volt meter is so simple but gives you a ton of information as well... It can show you if your battery is good and charging. It also can show you if something is draining the battery at a glance... Good choice... :thumb:

ken bee

Recruit
question? this tack is off of a inboard motor, will it hook to a outboard motor. my 74 mercury outboard motor has a distributor . the tack is wired under the dash except for one wire that was to the rear of the boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
There are universal tachs that can be used for four or two strokes. But we have no idea what you have or what calibrations are on the back. Details, details, details!!!