iPad navionics not working when Humminbird Helix is in range

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys,
I'm hoping someone can help me figure this one out.
I have an iPad with Navionics and use a "Dual" XGPS150A GPS Bluetooth satellite receiver, and this setup has been working great last year.
Over the winter, installed a Humminbird Helix fishfinder (with GPS, although I don't use that function) in my boat and now the iPad won't find me on the Lake and takes me to the sea, just South of Ghana?? (I think this is because it's the centre of the Altas...
I prefer the large screen on the iPad, so I don't want to switch over completely to the Helix.
The GPS App that finds the satellites is working and gives me the correct coordinates, but the Navionics doesn't seem to link to that info.
It appears to only be when they are near each other, since I can get the Navionics to work in the house.
Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this issue?
Thanks,
Kenny

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I think your going to find it a coincidence that they don't work together.

The map showing you in Ghana tells me you don't have a GPS signal. Are you sure your not working off WI-FI while in the house?

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
Good question Dingbat, but I Live out in the Styx and don't actually have internet at home, so that's not a possibility. :laugh:
Funny thing is, I can use the iPad and GPS unit anywhere but the boat now and last year, before I installed the Humminbird, it worked awesome on the boat.
I was thinking it might be some form of interference from the Humminbirds GPS system.
I contacted Navionics, but so far they've just sent me information to set the access rights on the iPad. Which was of no use, since it works when it's not in range of the boat...
I'm stumped to be honest.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Did you move the GPS unit for the iPad as far away from the Humminbird as possible?

What does the status of the GPS satellites show? It does have that page right?

Last edited:

kbd635

Seaman Apprentice
Dingbat,
You nailed it!
It ISN'T anything to do with the Humminbird. It's iOS8.3 on the iPad that isn't allowing the GPS unit to communicate with the Navionics
I contacted all of the companies concerned and the only one that replied with an explanation was Dual Electronics (the GPS puck manufacturer).
I'll need to wait until iOS 8.4 is issued to get it back! :-(
Thanks for everyone's input though! It's nice to be a member of a community that has each others backs!
Kenny