alternator wiring help

katq1989

Recruit
I have a 1970 19ft formula with an omc sterndrive gm v8 5.7 ...wiring on this is a mess ...so I'm getting overwhelmed and confused.... It currently has one battery to run basics ..bilge ,trim,gauges,bow+anchor .and horn ...is this OK ? Is 1st question second question I follow the wire harness to back of boat where there is a 8gauge alternator wire (orange) a positive 8 gauge (red) from starter and a ground 8 gauge (black) ...also a fuse panel with the glass fuses ..sorry for lack of correct terminology...2nd question is what wires do I connect to fuse panel to power it and what accessories need to be connected to this fuse panel ???...negative bus already done BTW all negatives piggy back on gauges ...and third question is my alt has two wire the orange one ..and one that goes into the voltage regulator...so the wire that comes out of the regulator is purple into engine harness then to my console and also another purple coming off coil to harness and back to console...so wth do I do with two purple wires one from regulator one from coil ...thx in advance guys oppps I forgot to ask ...if I need my lights horn and bilge hooked up to a constant how do I do this and with what wire and do they need Inline fuses

Last edited: