Amplifier grounding/Battery location

titus14

Recruit
Hello everyone, I've recently hooked up a Blue Seas systems 4 position switch to run two batteries in my Crownline 180 BR. Basically what I'm wanting to do is use battery #2 to run everything in the boat, but have #1 available for emergencies. The reason I need battery #2 to run everything is that originally, the amplifier to the speaker system was mounted in the engine bay where it could get pretty warm. So I moved battery #2 forward so I could get the amp to ground with about 3ft of 2AWG ground cable. Now I have it underneath the rear seat, but I'll need to drill a hole through the rear seat heat shield to get the wire through. I really hate doing this, so I'd like to see if any of you have any better suggestions on where to better mount the amp or possibly move battery # 2 for better position. Thanks! Oh, and by the way. I'm 35 and grew up on Jimmy Buffet and Steely Dan. No rap or country is allowed on my boat, lol.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Put the two batteries as close to each other as you can. Connect the two negative terminals together with the same size cable as the starting battery negative cable going to the engine block. Connect BAT #1 POS to the BAT #1 terminal on the switch. Connect Bat #2 POS to the BAT #2 terminal on the switch. Now connect the positive battery cable that used to go to the starter from the starting battery, to the COM terminal on the switch. Now connect the all the other stuff to the COM terminal as well and you have the best of both worlds. The engine can now charge either or both batteries, either or both batteries can start the engine, and either or both batteries can run your stuff. With both battery negative terminals connected together and tied to the engine block you can ground the amp to either battery or the engine block.

Last edited: