trim/tilt switches

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class
both of my switches have black wires coming from them with no color sleeves on them. do i have to ring them out with my meter or does it matter if i have them switched. this is a mercury I/O , 1990 model

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not actually knowing you system or being there to see for myself, it sounds like the limit switches are merely breaking the circuit to stop the pump. So that would mean it doesn't matter which wire goes where... Once you get to a limit, the circuit would open stopping further movement. So pick your wire and attach to the switch in either place...it will work! JMHO!

Bondo

Staff member
Not actually knowing you system or being there to see for myself, it sounds like the limit switches are merely breaking the circuit to stop the pump. So that would mean it doesn't matter which wire goes where... Once you get to a limit, the circuit would open stopping further movement. So pick your wire and attach to the switch in either place...it will work! JMHO!

Ayuh,..... 'n the other piece on the other side of the drive is the trim position sender, which is a reostat that don't care which wire goes where, either,.....

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you gm280 an Bondo. It is what I thought but it is better to be safe:)