Tip on buying a walmart everstart "maxx" battery . . .

Expidia

Commander
Early in the season walmart tends to dump their old battery stock onto their shelves from their warehouse. Their maxx carries a 2 year warranty. But I went to 3 stores to finally got a current sticker. Its useless to try and call their auto departments because no one is going to answer the phone and if one does they are all pretty dumb.

They won't ship what they call "site to store" on batteries. So you have to take your chances and check a store but many boaters are buying marine batteries right now so they don't have many in stock let alone the one you want.

What I did was call their customer service for their online site. Pick out the battery you want and the item number. Then call the online rep and they will give you 5 stores around your area. Then they can call and see who has a fresher one in stock. Just ask them to get the clerk to read the sticker and if its within 3 months or so have them hold it for you for the next hour. Have them put your name on it and leave it at the auto counter.

These batteries come filled with acid. I saw some on the shelf labeled 11/13. This means your battery is already 2.5 years old. And if they stored it in a warm ware house, its worse than that.

I snagged one that says 5/15 by the method above . . . sweet. When I finally drove thru 4:00 traffic and got to the walmart the next town over the "mouth breather" that held the battery for me OF COURSE picked out the wrong one. It was not a MAXX. I checked the shelves and they were all of course gone even though he said we got a truck load of them in today. I walked all around all the battery shelves and lo and behold their on a bottom end shelf was the 24 DC 690 MCA.

I bought this for my daughter as its a starter battery and also a deep cycle for those times she needs a little more trolling tine after her troller battery is low.

The 24 DC is smaller $99.97 and only weighs 46 lbs. I use the 27 DC which are heavier and longer trolling time. Ideally, the 29 is the best for trolling time but are a bear to lug around.

Not to start the age old battery war here but I've always had great luck with Everstarts. If a cell goes bad and I'm on vacation somewhere I always keep my receipt with the boat and can swing by any walmart and get it replaced. During the season their stock improves.
I know there are other brands many here like and to each his own.
Bottom line is there are only two manufactuers that make batteries in the U.S. and the end vendor just has their brand name on them.

If walmart has a manufacturer build a lower quality battery just for them . . . I've yet to see any proof of that from a viable website or mostly hearsay from a few members here when the battery rants threads start.

i bought two 27's and a 24 MAXX's for myself last season at walmart replacing 5-7 year old spent ones.

Its not the battery for issues with marine batteries . . . its the users of them who troll all day and don't charge it up until their next fishing trip. Put them on a charger as soon as you get home. This is why most go back to walmart and say my battery won't hold a charge and its only a year old. Marine batteries are a tough item to warranty due to user misuse.

With a car battery if it runs low for some reason the alternator will charge it back up when the car is running. Trolling batteries need to be recharged ASAP and don't run them down below 10%- 20% left or you will shorten their life quite a bit.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Academy Sports has their Exide Batteries on sale right not for $50 each. Group 24 or 27