Replacing battery in my Key Largo 176 Center Console

jlschuck

Recruit
I have to replace a dead battery in my Key Largo 17.5 ft. center console. Getting to the battery in the console is a nightmare task -at least it is for my lazy butt. I want to know if there is an easier way to get to this battery than going through the tiny opening at the bottom of the console? The boat seat is jammed right next to the console, so there is little room for my fat buttocks to get in the space next to the opening leading to center console access hole. I was thinking maybe I could remove the console, but I would probably jack up the steering. Anybody ever do this on a center-console boat? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Steps:
1. Take it to a boat dealer/marina.
2. Say "replace my battery"
3. Give them a bunch of money.

jlschuck

Recruit
I was afraid you were going to say that :). I am going to put another battery on the port side of the boat and run wires from it to my center console. This is so completely retarded for a boat to be designed specifically to prevent the simple, daily maintenance by the user. I don't know whether boat manufacturers don't know or don't care, but it is stupid things like this that make people hate them -real bad. I know stop whining and build your own boat -good idea.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Get a skinny neighbor to do it. Preferably one that knows which end of a wrench to hold. And also one that Positive is the terminal with the "+" symbol and negative is the"-" symbol. Then take him/her on a nice cruise.