Motorguide 70lb thrust intermittent cut out

reelnmn

Cadet
I have a Motorguide 24V Tour digital 70lb thrust trolling motor. The issue I am having is that the trolling motor randomly cuts out. Doesn't seem to matter whether on min or max. Basically I will be moving along the bank and the motor cuts out. The go button no longer works. If I hold the go button down, cycle the on/off switch, it immediately works again for a random amount of time. I have not tried duplicating the issue in bypass or high bypass. It does not have an autoreset circuit breaker. Where should I start troubleshooting?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not being familiar with your specific trolling motor, I have to say it sounds like an electrical issue and a possible switch and/or breaker problem. Post some pictures as to what switch you flip back and forth to get it working again. Because you have to do that to get it running again, makes me think the contacts inside are burnt. And when you flip it back and forth, it kind of cleans the contacts enough to start running again. I would certainly look for a replacement switch, because it isn't going to get any better... But that is my uneducated guess not being there and doing some tests for myself. That is all I can think of from the info you provided... JMHO!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Relay drop out. As suggested, the switch may have become a bit sensitive thus dropping power. When you cycle it the switch maintains contact until it once again opens. Just a guess on my part.