Transducer port or starboard?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I am going to install a depth finder and need to choose where to put the transducer. I have an Alpha 1 Gen 1 that has RH standard rotation. There is already a transducer for the fish finder on the starboard side. I know that 2 transducers may conflict with each other and will only have one on at a time. Due to possible turbulence is it wise to attach the new transducer to the left of the existing one or put in on the port side?

DSCF0001_zps24bdrdql.jpg%7Ec200

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
have you considered getting a unit that does both, depth and fish finding....most do that anyway.. do you have a swim platform? why would I say that, can be kicked (transducer) getting in and out, mines on the right side. I thought most units are depth and fish locators...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I have never encountered this situation for myself, but if you are only using one at a time, I would think you could install it right aside of the other one. What would be the problem if only one is switched on at a time? How could they interfere with each other if only one is running at a time? JMHO! :noidea:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
have you considered getting a unit that does both, depth and fish finding....most do that anyway.. do you have a swim platform? why would I say that, can be kicked (transducer) getting in and out, mines on the right side. I thought most units are depth and fish locators...

Imperial....
I already have the fish finder with depth but it only registers down to 10 feet. There is a lot of shallower water where I go. Already churned up some sand 2 weeks ago on the ICW. The one I got registers down to 2.5 feet. Have a swim deck and the ladder is on the port side. No interference with the transducer on the starboard side.

gm280... I thought the same but wanted another's opinion. Starboard side will be a lot easier as the helm is on that side.

UncleWillie

Captain
Place it wherever it is convenient.
The interference is not because they are too close to each other, it is because they are using the same frequencies.
6 inches or 6 feet won't make much difference. At 60 feet you might be OK!
One unit transmits and the echo off the bottom is received by the other unit when it it doesn't expect it and gives a false reading.
The same thing would happen with two transducers on different boats if they were close enough together.
If you can manually limit the 2 unit to separate frequencies you will be fine. If not, you will only be able to run one at a time.

Mount the the Transducer so it is below the hull in clear water while on plane.
Do not mount it in front of the prop, or the wake of the transducer might cause the prop to ingest air.
As long as it is outside of the Anti-Ventilation Plate you should be fine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When you mount the next one, don't mount it like the other one is mounted which is aimed way to the right. You want it aimed down!

UncleWillie

Captain
When you mount the next one, don't mount it like the other one is mounted which is aimed way to the right. You want it aimed down!

+1.

Also, have you considered just replacing the current sonar with a more modern unit that reports shallower water?
Most anything you buy today will display to less than 2 feet and sound an alarm when it gets close.

If you spend a lot of time in water less than 10 feet deep, you really only have a depth finder.
The sonar beam at 10 feet is only a few feet wide, and being less than 10 feet deep means that all the fish are going to scatter from the engine noise.

Shallow water is the ideal situation for Side Imaging Sonar. Side Scan units can be had today for under $500.
With Side scan, you can see not just what is directly under the boat, but also what is over 100 feet to either side.
Essentially a 200+ foot wide beam.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
+1.

Also, have you considered just replacing the current sonar with a more modern unit that reports shallower water?
Most anything you buy today will display to less than 2 feet and sound an alarm when it gets close.

If you spend a lot of time in water less than 10 feet deep, you really only have a depth finder.
The sonar beam at 10 feet is only a few feet wide, and being less than 10 feet deep means that all the fish are going to scatter from the engine noise.

Shallow water is the ideal situation for Side Imaging Sonar. Side Scan units can be had today for under $500.
With Side scan, you can see not just what is directly under the boat, but also what is over 100 feet to either side.
Essentially a 200+ foot wide beam.

yea, pretty much was I was thinking.......more modern units have depth alarms......work their weight in "props" :) installing em "flat" a must, I see the configuration of your stern will make that a challenge, you will be shooting signal at angle, not gonna get accurate readings...close maybe. my unit is installed in same spot as your existing one, except bottom configuration of my boat/transom is flat there... I had to be more worried about how the boat sits in the water rather than on the trailer to get projection angle as close to straight down as I could..

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

The mounting instructions mention exactly what you said. It should be level with the water line not the boat bottom.

Uncle WIllie.... I am only concerned with the depth at this point. It is getting to the fishing area through somewhat shallow bayous that is my reason for the depth sounder. Even though it is old as the boat, the fish finder works good when I get out in the bay, which is way deeper.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
installing em "flat" a must, I see the configuration of your stern will make that a challenge, you will be shooting signal at angle, not gonna get accurate readings...close maybe.
You never install them parallel to the angle of the boat. Doesn't matter what the angle of the boat is. You always mount them facing down

UncleWillie

Captain
I am not trying to tell you you are wrong, I just want to make sure you have looked at all the options.
A depth finder, in the form of a dash mounted dedicated gage that only displays depth is a small market device that commands a relatively high price.
Generic Sonar with Color Display, and Water Temperature, that display depth to less than 3 feet can be had for not much more than a dedicated Depth finder.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I am not trying to tell you you are wrong, I just want to make sure you have looked at all the options.
A depth finder, in the form of a dash mounted dedicated gage that only displays depth is a small market device that commands a relatively high price.
Generic Sonar with Color Display, and Water Temperature, that display depth to less than 3 feet can be had for not much more than a dedicated Depth finder.

That is a really good price. Makes me rethink my decision. Thanks!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That is a really good price. Makes me rethink my decision. Thanks!!

You need a unit with adjustable pulse rate and output power to read reliably in water that shallow. Doubt you will find neither in a $300 unit but it's worth a look.

If you end up with a new unit, you may want to consider an Airmar P48W transducer. It was designed specifically for shallow water. Produces an elliptical cone angle of 12 x 38 degrees and can be rotated 90 degrees on the fly