Anyone made their own power tilt unit for an outboard?

Larson67

Cadet
Hey everyone, I'm new here. Just bought a mid-60s glass boat with a '67 Johnson 60 hp. I really want to be able to pop up the engine with hydraulics, but can't afford even the used ones, yet, so I've been digging around for motors, pumps and cylinders. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and maybe has some advice. Also- the Johnson tilt unit has two tilt assist shocks. Any chance I can just mount the hydraulic lines to them at the base to make them the lift cylinders? That would make this a lot easier.

Bondo

Staff member
but can't afford even the used ones,

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... You'll spend more buildin' yer own, than a used transom tilt,....

Larson67

Cadet
Even if I pick up a used motor and pump? I was half-expecting to rebuild a pump or hydraulic cylinder, and it may be tough, but I like new challenges. If no one has done this before, then I may just have to fly solo. Thanks, though, Bondo.

Kaykatz

Seaman Apprentice
This might be a long shot but is there a way of rigging a small winch and have the cable run over the engine cover attached to a bracket that fits into the handle opening?