Playing Ipod on radio with no AUX jack??

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just purchased a new boat & the AM/FM radio with CD player does NOT have an AUX jack to plug an ipod into....is there a way to make it where an ipod "could" be plugged in & used?

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
You need an FM modulator. It will take the analog ipod signal and convert it to an FM broadcast signal. Tune the radio to the appropriate station and play away. Doesn't appear as though iBoats sells any so just Google "FM modulator" and find one that suits your needs.

UncleWillie

Captain
Be aware that most FM Modulators are going to take your stereo signal and convert it to Mono before it transmits it.
Even it clearly states "Stereo" on the package, that is no guarantee you will not loose the stereo image.
Mono FM transmission is easy and inexpensive to do. Stereo is much more complicated.
Just so you know!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
To be honest, I think you'd probably be happier if you spent a little more to replace the radio/CD player with a new deck that is Bluetooth compatible.

Another alternative is to buy a decent Bluetooth-enabled speaker set and use that instead of your boat's audio system. Of course, separate speakers won't work if you're wanting to play your iPod over big, loud boat speakers.

If you're looking for loud, decent-sounding audio, you probably are looking at a new deck The FM transmitter route probably won't be very pleasing... The inexpensive ones are downright lousy. I tried one in my pickup truck and it was barely strong enough to be picked up by the radio. Reminded me of listening to an AM transistor radio back in the day.

tpenfield

Staff member
I have the Griffin FM modulator seems to work fine. I use it for both the car and the boat . . . works better on the boat as usually you are at anchor when listening to tunes so there is less chance of another station interfering with the FM signal.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You lose a ton of sound quality going through an FM modulator.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There is a reason FM doesn't sound as good as CD or other audio sources. The FM rolls off around 15khz. That is because the broadcast station only has so much of a bandwidth they can legally transit on and that limits to around 15khz range. So if you're older like I am, you can't hear anything beyond that anyways. Heck I know I can't hear much pass about 8khz to maybe 10khz. And that comes from too many 44mag shells being shot while hunting... Lesson learned too late!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There is a reason FM doesn't sound as good as CD or other audio sources. The FM rolls off around 15khz. That is because the broadcast station only has so much of a bandwidth they can legally transit on and that limits to around 15khz range. So if you're older like I am, you can't hear anything beyond that anyways. Heck I know I can't hear much pass about 8khz to maybe 10khz. And that comes from too many 44mag shells being shot while hunting... Lesson learned too late!
The quality of an FM modulator has nothing to do with the frequency range that you are trying to hear. It's a SNR issue.

If it's a wired FM modulator which means it plugs directly into a radio's antenna jack, it will be better than a wireless version but it is still going to perform worse than an aux jack.

Last edited: