No power to radio wires

justrelaxing

Recruit
I just got a 1987 Bayliner Capri. 1st boat so I dont know much about them. I wanted to update the old AM/FM cassette radio with new JVC so I could play music from my phone. After cutting and stripping wires, I tested the black and the red wire for power, nothing. Battery terminals have power, and even replaced the internal fuse off the positive terminal. Is there somewhere else I need to check? I can see there is a lot of stuff under the steering wheel, but tough to look under and no idea where I would be looking. Any help would really be appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
justrelaxing :welcome: aboard. Let's see if we can help you out.

First of all you stated that you stripped the black and red wires. But you didn't say where those wire were coming from. So unless you have those wires attached straight to the battery (with a fuse inline I hope) where do those wires come from? If you installed the wires straight from the battery and there is no voltage on them, you have a disconnection of either the red or black wires at the battery or the fuse is toast... Obviously the wire are good and not older with maybe breaks internally? :noidea:

TexMonty

Seaman
Well I had the same problem as I think you are saying you have. I had power at the power terminal, good fuse but no power at the stereo head unit. I traced wires and there was a plug on the wiring harness between stereo and main power. The power wire to the stereo in the plug had come unplugged. I probably did it running transducer cable. Plugged the one terminal back in and all been good

justrelaxing

Recruit
My apologies....I stripped the black and red wire that went to the radio. The radio worked prior to changing out. So I connected the new radio's red (ignition) and yellow (12v) to the old radio's red and both old and new radios black and the speaker wires. On the battery is the main black and red wires. there is an additional black and red and from the red there was a old internal fuse, I replaced this and my multimeter did not show power to the black and red from the radio

Tex...where is the terminal your tallking about that ended up being disconnected?

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Something I have found with many aftermarket head units is that the case sometimes needs a good ground, or they will not power up. In a car/truck there is usually some metal on metal contact in the dash so its a non issue. Boats being all fiberglass though, grounding 12v electrical can be a pain. :lol: If the new head unit has a screw somewhere on the back try wiring a jumper with an eyelet to it, from the black ground wire.

Last edited:

justrelaxing

Recruit
Would the red and black wires when tested not show any voltage? If not, then your suggesting screwing a speaker wire from the back of the radio to something metal near it in the area?

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

There is a fuse block behind the instrument panel. If the wiring is original, the radio fuse is there.

justrelaxing

Recruit
I did find a fuse with the silver ends that were burned out. I replace it and still nothing to the red radio wire. Would there be more then that for fuse that may do this?

NYBo

Admiral
You'll have to trace the wires back to the fuse block. They should run forward and around the bow to the fuse block. It may be simpler to just run new wires.