Humminbird helix 5 DI GPS freezing up

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a humminbird helix 5 DI GPS fish finder and when I turn the ignition to crank my motor the fish finder freezes up. What could be causing this? thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does it start working if you power it off and back on? Is the power for the Helix supplied by the starting battery?

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice
once it freezes up, the power button will not turn it off. I have to unplug the power wire from it and then power it on. I wired it into the power I had my last fish finder wired into under the console. And that power is from under the console but coming from the cranking battery. Would it help to run a separate wire to the battery just for my new fish finder

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
My depth finder/GPS would freeze up (or at least the GPS part would) every time I used the starter. In my case, I could use the power button to cycle it off and then on, but it was a hassle. I ended up rewiring it so it's on a house battery, protected by and ACR with an ignition suppression circuit. Haven't had a chance yet to test it...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Would it help to run a separate wire to the battery just for my new fish finder
It might.

Try this. Pull out your man overboard lanyard and measure the voltage at your GPS while the engine cranks. Do the same directly across the battery. If there is much difference, you may want to move the connections straight to the battery.

Your other choice is have the depth sounder on a seperate house battery if you have one.