Switching breaker sizes

DaddyAirtime

Cadet
I want to know if it is "okay" to swap a 5 amp breaker with a 10 amp. They are console mounted push to reset breakers. The breaker controls my transom shower pump. The pump starts and stops itself, dependent on whether or not the spout is open. When it is open, pressure forces water out and the pump turns on. When the spout is closed, pressure builds up and the pump shuts down. The problem I have is the pump draws about 8 amps when it is trying to build pressure to shut off. I can run the pump, but it trips the breaker every time someone stops the flow.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The only SAFE was to swap out a 5 amp circuit breaker to a 10 amp breaker is IF the supply wires is capable of handling the increased current. So your actual wire gauge AND run length will make the determine if it is okay to do that. But don't just swap it and think it is okay. Incorrect wire gauge size can lead to electrical fires and has done so many times. So check the wire gauge and the length and look it up for the current capacity before doing anything. If it is clearly large enough and can handle more then 10 amps, go for it. But if it can only handle 10 amps max, install larger wire gauge and play it safe...

Oh, I almost forget. You have to up gauge the wire for both the positive run AND the negative runs so it will work properly. Just changing the positive wire will still get you in trouble if the negative wire isn't capable to handle the increased current as well. The both have to be changes if you change one...

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
It sounds like the original breaker is too small. Breakers are commonly sized at 125% of the circuit's full load amps. So 1.25 x 8A = 10A. Undersized breakers are in themselves a hazard as they can't tolerate repeated overcurrents and can become the source of heat that might start a fire. As gm280 has noted, the wire must be adequately sized, but it may already be adequate. Most times, wires that are not contained in a tube or outer jacketed cable need to be at least 16 AWG just to handle mechanical stresses of the installation without regard for current capacity. You should have no trouble with a #16 on a 10 amp breaker, if that's the case.
- Grandad

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most breakers will have a amp that they trip at, usually it is written on the side.
if your pump draws "8 amps", there is normally a higher starting amp then operating amp. It sounds like once flow
is stopped, the pump is still pumping against a dead head, increasing amperage, tripping the breaker.
My question would be if the 5 amp breaker was installed originally with the system,then it should be fine.
If it is tripping, then the breaker is going bad or something is wrong in the system.
installing a larger breaker is just masking a problem.
JMO

alldodge

Staff member
I want to know if it is "okay" to swap a 5 amp breaker with a 10 amp. They are console mounted push to reset breakers. The breaker controls my transom shower pump. The pump starts and stops itself, dependent on whether or not the spout is open. When it is open, pressure forces water out and the pump turns on. When the spout is closed, pressure builds up and the pump shuts down. The problem I have is the pump draws about 8 amps when it is trying to build pressure to shut off. I can run the pump, but it trips the breaker every time someone stops the flow.

Agree with Grandad, if you have an 8 amp pump and your wire is at least 16AWG your good, change the breaker to 10 amp