Stereo Issues

real_ordie

Recruit
I had previously installed a Kenwood deck on my CC and it would play great while the motor was turned off. When I start the motor, my stereo still has power and everything looks fine except sound is sporadic if there is any sound at all. I installed a JVC deck and am having the same issues. Anyone ever had this happen to them? Any help would be appreciated!

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

I suspect an over- or under-voltage situation.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could be an under voltage issue or even a RFI issue. When the engine is running and using non-resistive spark plug wires, it produces RFI simply from the sparks plugs firing. And that can travel on the DC voltage to the stereo. Or it can even be broadcasted to the stereo. I don't think it is an over voltage issue because those stereos have their own voltage regulation circuits inside. A low voltage could be harmful, but I don't see a high voltage doing it. You can install a filter suppression circuit to help eliminate the DC sporadic issues on the power supply lines, but if it is picking up RFI over the air, it isn't going to fix it. You can determine which is causing the problem by using the CD or some other non-radio sound through it. It the problem still exists. It is from the power lines. If it is clear, the problem is RFI over the air interference with the radio section... JMHO!

DaddyAirtime

Cadet
I had a similar issue, but in reverse. My stereo would play fine when the boat was running, but would clip out when on accessory. I have dual batteries and two amps, plus the head unit. I also use a perko dual battery switch.

I initially had everything hooked up to the switch. I didn't want one battery to be used for stereo alone and rely on the other for starting. That plan didn't work out so hooked everything up to one battery. That is when I started having the issue.

I split the amps up, one to each battery and rewired my ground wires. I also cleaned all the ground/power wires connected to my block under the console. Problem solved. Stereo sounds great on accessory and when boat is running, also sounds a bit louder.

I know this isn't an exact comparison but maybe it is related. Good luck. Stereo issues are a pain in the rear.

real_ordie

Recruit
Thanks for all the input. Going to try to connect directly to battery to see if it cuts out when motor is started. That will at least narrow it down a little bit.

The sound cuts out no matter if it's radio, cd, aux, etc. so I'm guessing it has something to do with the wires.

real_ordie

Recruit
Well, I hooked the radio up straight to the battery and started the motor. It did the same thing again, you can hear the music coming on and going off. I am stumped at this one.