Boat wireing ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay before this gets out of hand, I know to use the proper USCG marine wire for wiring a boat. My question is, since I'm rewiring the control cable from the engine to the helm control section, I need a few single properly colored wires to make this new cable run. But what do you do with wire colors like yellow with purple strip, or blue with white strip of any color with any other color strip? I see most all single color wires, but trying to make this concur with the proper wire colors for my engine, how do you get those unique stripped colors? Is there some dye markers I can use? IDK? Any ideas? :noidea:

alldodge

Staff member
Okay before this gets out of hand, I know to use the proper USCG marine wire for wiring a boat. My question is, since I'm rewiring the control cable from the engine to the helm control section, I need a few single properly colored wires to make this new cable run. But what do you do with wire colors like yellow with purple strip, or blue with white strip of any color with any other color strip? I see most all single color wires, but trying to make this concur with the proper wire colors for my engine, how do you get those unique stripped colors? Is there some dye markers I can use? IDK? Any ideas? :noidea:

Boats use standard automotive wire and you can find it but in most cases you have to buy a roll, but not always. Search on "automotive striped wire".
I found this one http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/general-supplies-primary-copper-wire.html

Other way is to buy a new 20 to 50 foot 10 pin wiring harness
http://www.cpperformance.com/c-146-wiring-harnesses.aspx

The USCG does care if you have all one color wiring, only that it's safe. You could use color electrical tape (cheap) and put a wrap of the colors on each end.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Boats use standard automotive wire and you can find it but in most cases you have to buy a roll, but not always. Search on "automotive striped wire".
I found this one http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/general-supplies-primary-copper-wire.html

Other way is to buy a new 20 to 50 foot 10 pin wiring harness
http://www.cpperformance.com/c-146-wiring-harnesses.aspx

The USCG does care if you have all one color wiring, only that it's safe. You could use color electrical tape (cheap) and put a wrap of the colors on each end.

Ha AllDodge, thanks for the links. I never knew those places were even out there. That is why I made the post. So many folks on here that have so much knowledge that other don't and share it. I certainly appreciate it indeed. That may have solved all my wiring issues now... :thumb: :thumb:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with what was said about safely using whatever color you can find as long as you don't misuse colors such as red for a negative wire. You can spend a fortune and a lot of time sourcing the exact color that the standard requires. You're not a boat manufacturer. If it makes it any easier for you to accept, then do what I do, draw the entire electrical system for your boat and record the wire colors on it. Where the same color wire has been used multiple times, put number tags or other identification at all terminations. KISS. - Grandad

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with what was said about safely using whatever color you can find as long as you don't misuse colors such as red for a negative wire. You can spend a fortune and a lot of time sourcing the exact color that the standard requires. You're not a boat manufacturer. If it makes it any easier for you to accept, then do what I do, draw the entire electrical system for your boat and record the wire colors on it. Where the same color wire has been used multiple times, put number tags or other identification at all terminations. KISS. - Grandad

Grandad, I like using printed wire labels with clear shrink tube on them. Once you shrink the tube around the printed label, it is there to stay. I am OCD to make things perfect too many times and will go the extra mile to get the proper color wire so down the road if anybody has to come behind me, they have the wiring like the schematics list it. But I can use wire labels and that can work well also. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to give me another option... :thumb: