1992 crestliner phantom navigation and anchor switch

tdrogers14

Cadet
I am having trouble with my navigation / anchor light switch. When I turn on the navigation lights only the front lights come on. I know the back lights work because when I turn on the anchor light it turns.
I am guessing something is plugged into the wrong place. The switch has 4 prongs on the back. I need t know what plugs in where. I have tried attaching pics but it won't let me.
Thank you in advanced and sorry I am a first time boat owner and trying to learn as I go and pinch a few pennies.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I don't know where the diode is but it is required with a four terminal lighted switch. A diode is an electrical component about the size of an old glass style fuse. It allows current to pass in one direction but not the other. If you had a six terminal switch it can be wired such that a diode is not needed. But to understand this, you need to understand that the NAV/ANC switch must allow both the bow and stern lights to be lit when under way. At anchor, only the stern light must be on. You cannot make that happen with a three or four terminal switch without the diode. The diode goes between the nav light and stern light posts such that when the NAV position is selected current passes through the diode to the stern light. When the anchor position is selected, current is blocked from the bow light. There are many diagrams in this forum so all you need to do is search for them using the search term "nav/anchor switch wiring".