Tach and temperature gauge not working 5.0 Mercruiser on Bayliner 212

SrdjanV

Recruit
Dear all,

This is my first post on this forum, so I apologize if this topic have been discussed in past.
I have Bayliner 212, with 5.0 Mercruiser (it is not MPI). Production year is 2004.
Previous owner was a kind of slack and didnt pay to much attention on boat. In last year, since I got it the boat is reborn :) the only issues I have are tach and temperature gauges that are not working at all. I know that there should be a wire from coil to tach but I couldn't see it, is there some photo of coil with tach wire itself so I can identify it. Also, can You please let me know regarding temperature sensor where is sender, so I can check it as well.
Many thanks in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Dear all,

This is my first post on this forum, so I apologize if this topic have been discussed in past.
I have Bayliner 212, with 5.0 Mercruiser (it is not MPI). Production year is 2004.
Previous owner was a kind of slack and didnt pay to much attention on boat. In last year, since I got it the boat is reborn :) the only issues I have are tach and temperature gauges that are not working at all. I know that there should be a wire from coil to tach but I couldn't see it, is there some photo of coil with tach wire itself so I can identify it. Also, can You please let me know regarding temperature sensor where is sender, so I can check it as well.
Many thanks in advance

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... The Tach is driven by the grey wire on the (-) side of the coil,.....

For the Temp gauge,.... The sender is in the T-stat housin',.....
Disconnect the wire, 'n ground it to the housin',... The gauge should Peg to Hot,.....
If it does,... change the sender,...
If it don't,... change the gauge,...

alldodge

Staff member
:welcome: to iboats

Agree, and will add the temp wire color is Tan. If it doesn't peg the gauge when the wire is ground against the housing, make sure you have 12V at the gauge (purple wire) and your ground (black wire) lead is good

SrdjanV

Recruit
Many, many thanks guys,
I will check it as soon as weather calms :)

All the Best
Srdjan

1970nds

Cadet
Hello, I have a temp gauge issue and just want to confirm something that All Dodge posted. I have a black wire and purple wise not cponnected to anything but the back of the temp gauge. The other end is just hanging. Can I just connect them to power and ground at the fuse block?

The tach. is also disconnected and hanging there. It has a red/white wire with the purple and black ones. They have a white connector on the end though. I cannot find the other end to plug that in to.

2000 Bayliner Capri 19850LX